- 4th - Edwards - SH
                      - 5th - Turnquist - SIM

Top 5 Steers - Grand - Mobley - CHI
                    - Reserve - Moser - XX
                    - 3rd - Davis - XX
                    - 4th - Moser - MA
                    - 5th - Grubbs - CHAR

Our Highlights :

We took 6 head and had 3 class winners ( SH Steer, Hereford Steer, and SH + heifer) and a 6th ( SH Heifer) plus an 8th place showman among all 6th graders. Our SH steer looked awesome but just needed about another 100 lbs or so to really compete in the grand drive; he weighed 1065. Our SH + heifer is just a Jan. but looked great and will only get better. I'll attach a pic of the two steers and if anyone needs a great steer to show on down the road, this SH steer is really nice and is for sale up until 3/18.  PM me if you are interested. Our county sale is 3/18, and if I don't sell him before then, he will be sold for the freezer.  (argue)

Attachments

• GAJRSTATESHOW08.jpg
    GAJRSTATESHOW08.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 609

Doc

Congrats Shortdawg!!!! (clapping) I'm sure you're very proud of the boys & the cattle.  The JPJ steer looks real good.

shorthorns r us

white steer looks like a million bucks.  what did he weigh?  he really needs to go to an early midwest state fair.  was th SH+ class winner the k-kim heifer

kane1598

That steer certainly has the look. I would be interested in him if I still showed steers,  I just wish he had 200 more lbs on him!  How close is he to being finished?

shortdawg

The steer weighed 1065 and I would say he would be at 12 o'clock at around 1200. SRU, the K-Kim heifer was the heifer you bought for me last year. She was just like the white steer in that she just needs more time and feed. She's really a nice calf and has been real easy to handle after she adjusted to her surroundings. She just has to be soft-handed.

red

man Shortdawg, those calves are awesome! The boys grew a lot since Louisville!!!!

Red

Richburg

was that the red steer of mobleys that was GC and what happened with the char steer that was reserve at beef futurity?

very nice calves by the way

shortdawg

The steer of the Mobley's that won was Black ( Chi ) and I'm not sure about the Charolais. The only Char. in the top 5 was the Grubbs steer. I only clipped the head and tail on the white steer and all the others plus a lttle body clipping on the hereford. I had some help from OK and he was the real deal.

jlcattle

Congrats on doing so well in the show, did you purchase the shorthorn from A&A Cattle out of Adel?

shortdawg

No, he came from OK. I do know all the A & A crowd really well though; My kids have shown cattle with them. We live in the same county.

occ

Shortdawg, congratulations.  That white steer did look awesome, the boy from OK did a great job.  Peyton did a good job showing him.  I have enjoyed watching Peyton's progress over the past few years, and Jon is coming on strong. 

to Richburg, the 5th overall steer (Charolais) is the same that was reserve at the beef futurity, shown by Skylar Grubbs.

My daughter showed the reserve commercial heifer, she wasn't quite big enough to get in the top 5 heifers, but we were very happy.  Our county show (Colquitt Co., GA) is next Tuesday.  Since the grand steer in Perry stayed there, we will have 3rd overall and 5th overall steers + some steer division and class winners, one heifer breed champion and 4 heifer breed reserves, and heifer class winners from the GA Jr. Nat'l showing in our county show.  An awesome set of calves for a county show.  We have AWESOME kids also, true competitors. 

shortdawg

Penny, Thanks for the comments; we had fun. That Murdoc is the one that's flat going to be tough to beat in showmanship !

shortdawg

OCC, Correct me if I'm wrong but, hasn't the Champ steer at the State Show came from Colquitt County for like 4 out of the last 5 years including the last 2. Don't you all still have about 100 head in the county ?

occ

Shortdawg,

Yes, 2005-2008 Grand steers at the state show have come from Colquitt Co.  We have 90something calves entered in the show tomorrow.  You should come over and watch if you have a chance.  It starts @ 10:00.  We are very fortunate to have support from our community.  Getting 40 steers sold can be like pulling teeth, but the community always comes through for us.  Anyone involved in putting on a show knows how important community support is.  Our buyers, sponsors, patrons, etc. and a dedicated show committee are the reason for the large livestock program we have.  Without them, our kids would not have these opportunities. 

shortdawg

Thanks, I may just do that. I think the rain will knock us out of the fields so,I should be able to make it.