Gardening

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

I won't hijack, I will start a new topic  ;)

Does anyone have any good gardening tips?  When do you all start planting your gardens and what products do you like?

Fluffer

red

I mentioned trying the black plastic to keep the weeds down. also put young plants under plastic milk jugs till they get a start. I vary on what I plant. Start out w/ high hopes & then get too worn out to do much!

I also do a lot of flower gardening. Have about 8 different beds right now. Into roses at the moment. The older hierloom varieties that smell great. i also take the cottage garden approch & everything is a mish mash!

Make sure you have a good compost pile of manure. I let mine set a year before using it. Really works great! Also the old bark or mulch from the stalls is good too.

We'll share picture later on!

Red

knabe

i plant sweet peas with my eating grapes.  will do it with corn this year.

get a drip system for pumpkins and leave it on low, same with melons

keep the chickens away from sprouting corn.

keep the chickens around the tomatoes melons and other slug areas.  i've never seen them so wild when they find slugs.  turns into a daily early morning ritual.

pinch the first few leaves of tomatoes and bury them a little bit, the tomato, not the leaves.  they get up off the ground a little better.

jason

You think we are past the freeze?  Last year, I planted flowers to early and lost everything, so I have been hesitant this year.

rtnok

Our weather man in okc is predicting a freeze for april 27th  so won't plant til  after that. roni

red

ours is May 15th! I'm getting itchy fingers!

Knabe- I'm trying some blue pumpkins this year. Should be fun. They're good eating too.

Red

bradycreek

Got the cold weather crops in 10 days ago, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and am trying to get some asparagus started. Will plant the corn, green beans, and squash between may 1st and the 10th....If I can get all the cow AI--ing done by then.  Last night before the rain planned to work a little on the garden but when I went up to checked the cows and had 4 out. :(....2 hrs and 2 less trees latter I hope the fence is fixed.......needless to say that took my garden time away.
dh

sawboss

We have 25 acres of watermelons this year, and they will be expensive this year with the cost of commercial fertilizer at $525/ton.  The boys make some good money off of the culls that they sell in front of the house, and use to supplement their show addictions.

red

bradycreek said:
Got the cold weather crops in 10 days ago, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, and am trying to get some asparagus started. Will plant the corn, green beans, and squash between may 1st and the 10th....If I can get all the cow AI--ing done by then.  Last night before the rain planned to work a little on the garden but when I went up to checked the cows and had 4 out. :(....2 hrs and 2 less trees latter I hope the fence is fixed.......needless to say that took my garden time away.
dh

I hate cattle getting out. Hubby said ours can't go out until fence is fixed. Sounds like a good Sunday afternoon job!

On the aspargus, it requires lots of weeding. I put down a good layer of well matured compost to help w/ weeds. Also in the fall, I lay down more compost plus straw. Too much & aspargus comes up white, just as good but funky looking. remember, it takes a couple of years to get a good stand.

Red