GAS $2.33 Can you believe it

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

When gas was @ $4 many were demanding we tax the obscene profits of the "big" oil companies. Now that it's dropping like whale dung in the ocean, shouldn't there be an outcry to bail them out?

Just asking.

red

We were in Marion, Ohio this afternoon. On one side of town gas was $2.25 on the other side $2.50. Too me that is a pretty huge spread.

Red

BIGTEX

1.79 in McAllen. I wonder what the price of gas and diesel on the way up? It sure seems gas should be lower when oil is under 70 a barrel. Diesel is still 3.49 in N.Texas

Throttle

It is down in the 2.30's most places around here, but diesel is still well over $3. At our local Wal Mart gas was 2.29 yesterday, but diesel was $3.43. What changed about the fuel business a few years back that made diesel higher than gas?

I think it is a shame that we have been conditioned to believe that $2.25/ga for gas is a bargain! it was only ten years ago that $1.25 had everyone crying the blues. Isn't that a little higher than normal inflation rate?

Malinda

What a difference just a few miles make...

$2.17 in Hillsboro

20 miles away....

$2.59 in Bainbridge

20 miles away...

$2.49 in Chillicothe

Go figure.

Malinda

knabe

SD said:
When gas was @ $4 many were demanding we tax the obscene profits of the "big" oil companies. Now that it's dropping like whale dung in the ocean, shouldn't there be an outcry to bail them out?

Just asking.

the answer is we need to tax them more, for a whole lot of reasons other than profit, which is just, well so, wrong.

4sistersshowingwhatwegot

Our local news station has a story on their website and it says that gas is $1.97 down around Carthage. Where I live it's about $2.49. Don't you just love how it takes longer for the gas to go down than it does to go up?

knabe

4sistersshowingwhatwegot said:
Our local news station has a story on their website and it says that gas is $1.97 down around Carthage. Where I live it's about $2.49. Don't you just love how it takes longer for the gas to go down than it does to go up?

this is a tried and true method to make profit, as margins during price stasis simply are insufficient any more due to subsidies and other artificial factors. 

it's also a tried and true method for making money with currency differences.

even if the speed is the same, check out this calculation.  you have 100 dollars.  the market goes down 10%.  you now have 90 dollars.  the market goes up 10%.  you now have 99 dollars.  repeat this enough and compare the fees to participate in this losing process with the losses you have accumulated, and it's pretty easy to see that a decent method to making money, is saving it. 

simtal

Throttle said:
It is down in the 2.30's most places around here, but diesel is still well over $3. At our local Wal Mart gas was 2.29 yesterday, but diesel was $3.43. What changed about the fuel business a few years back that made diesel higher than gas?

too many indians and chinese driving diesel powered vehichles

klintdog

Around the time that the emission standards were changed and vehicles had to begin using the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, there seemed to be a slight increase in price. I imagine that removing more particulates and sulfur from the fuel will require a change to the refining process, which helps to justify the increased cost.

For our dyed fuel, we used to see a substantial price savings when we would order in bulk, but those days have even begun to disappear. This summer when I filled the tank before haying I only saw about a $.15 savings by ordering it in bulk. It appears that the real answer is that the system is being held hostage some greedy oil nations, plus the issues of increased consumption by foreign countries.

knabe

it seems our savior may be to export inefficient consumption and cause log increases in inefficiency of other countries.  the problem is, property rights seems to be a key cost of business not accounted for in countries with no political diversity.  hmm.  there's that word diversity.  democratic president, democratic house, democratic senate, democratic judicial, democratic schools.  not much diversity.

it has been posited by democrats endlessly, that we need to get the rest of the world to be like us. 

seems like that's working real well too. 

government, there isn't a market they can't raise the cost of with good intentions, but having the opposite effect.

the left seems worried about free range chickens etc.  why don't they think humans should be free range too and get out of apartments and into a more rural lifestyle, and be done with mass transit?  i feel like such a caged chicken when i get on mass transit.

SWMO

Yup we are officially below $2.00 for regular gas now.  However, with the power of the press at work our locally strong economy has now become less than stagnant and is actually going backwards.  Local fortune 500 company has now gone to 4 day weeks and is expecting a really rough Christmas season.

I believe that what is now happening is called a SELF FULLFILLING PROPHESY.  The media keeps telling us how bad it is and the consumer reacts to how bad we percieve it to be and quits spending and hunkers down for the long haul.

People around here are terrified (literally) as to what will happen with one party controlling the House the Senate and the Presidency.  Hold on this may well become a long struggle to make it out of the economic cellar.

knabe

SWMO said:
I believe that what is now happening is called a SELF FULLFILLING PROPHESY.  The media keeps telling us how bad it is and the consumer reacts to how bad we percieve it to be and quits spending and hunkers down for the long haul.

my dad tells me this over and over and to ignore the media.

KCK

$1.97 at the Flying J in OKC. With their rewards card, I saved a penny but will be able to save three cents on my way to the Royal. Any reports on prices around the fairgrounds or in that general vicinity? Headed that way after work.

DLD

Paid $2.75 for road diesel here this morning. Since it's gotten high, I've been in the habit of just putting in $50.00 at a time, so when it clicked off at less than $45.00, I stood there tryin' to figure out what was wrong. Took awhile for it to occur to me that the tank could be full...