Generator issue

Help Support Steer Planet:

Royal F

:mad:  Just thought I would give anyone who might be looking for a generator a heads up.  I purchased a DuroMax XP10000E in March of 2011 from Generator Factory Outlet in California.  Shortly after it's 1 year anniversary a bearing went out.  They are unwilling to honor the warranty even though it was a few weeks out.  Not only is this a unreliable product the customer service at generator factory outlet was terrible.  The manager actually said I didn't matter.  I only have purchased one item and he has customers that purchase numerous items each year.  What ever happened to CUSOMER SERVICE and standing behind ones product.

rackranch

It had a 1 year warranty and it was past 1 year.  Really don't see where you have a leg to stand on.  You really expect companies to start doing service after the expiration date?  Where do they draw the line, two weeks, three weeks? No, at the 1 year mark.  If you bought a new truck and the motor blew up two weeks after the warranty do you think they would put a new motor in it for you?

Now it does sound like the guy could have been more respectful to you.  That is if you were respectful to him...JMO

GoWyo

Guess it would have paid to buy the extended warranty if it was available.

Royal F

No extended warranty offered. My point rack ranch was to offer my experience to someone looking to buy a generator.
A trucks motor is under warranty for an exceptable amount of miles. A generator with limited use is expected to last more than a year. Apples to oranges.

Anyway I did receive a call late this afternoon from the company apologizing  for their customer service manager's  <party>attitude and are shipping me the replacement parts free Of charge.  In the end they did what customer service should do. Be respectful of the customer.

auctioneerajb

Miles or time- a warranty is a warranty. Just because you used your generator only a limited amount dosen't mean that if the warrenty is expired you should still be covered. Warrenties don't say " covered for 1 year unless only used lighty- then it's 2 year warranty." Don't matter if you buy something with a 10 year warranty and never use it, It goes bad the 1st time you use it @ 10 years +1 day warranty's void. Otherwise companies will go broke trying to cover warranties.
On the other hand the customer service or should I say customer no service you recieved (provided you were civil to him/her- no swearing,yelling etc.) was uncalled for and the employer should part ways with that particular employee.

Dr Dean

I work for an ag impliment dealer and warranty is always a sore subject. We as a dealer would like to help the customer out but the warranty period is 1 year that's all you get. Anything after that is a good will offering. If people would bother to read the warranty policy most warranties are void at the first oil change by not using the manufacturers oil and filters. By the way those little black boxes that people hang on the side of the engine, instant warranty void on the whole machine.

jason

GoWyo said:

I have been an opponent of extended warranty, I know people have instances where they have really paid off, but in the end I think it is a losing game.  Now, if it was for equipment that was vital for business and an expected repair could cause a financial hardship, extended warranty would be appropriate.

GoWyo

Jason said:
GoWyo said:

I have been an opponent of extended warranty, I know people have instances where they have really paid off, but in the end I think it is a losing game.  Now, if it was for equipment that was vital for business and an expected repair could cause a financial hardship, extended warranty would be appropriate.

I have never bought an extended warranty on any appliance - was kind of tongue in cheek comment that this was one of the rare instances that it might have paid off.  Had an $1100 generator blow the stador, which cost $500 to replace.  Would have junked the whole thing, but the motor was a Honda and running strong.