Generator Size-4 blowers

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

Does anyone know how big of a generator is needed to run 4 blowers? We have 2 of the flux capicitor/double blower hoses hooked up and I didn't know how big of a generator it would take to run all four and have them on separate breakers. Or is that too much  for a portable generator?

Bjk cattle

To determine the size of the generator needed, you will need to determine how many watts each unit consumes.  The formula to determine watts in single phase motors is:

Volts x Amps x Power Factor

Your blowers will show volts and amps on the nameplate, but will probably not show power factor.  I would use 97% as a power factor just to be safe.  Since most blowers utilize two motors, you may have to multiply the amps by 2 if it is not listed on the nameplate.

Example:

115 x 15 x .97 = 1673.25 watts
1673.25 x 4 = 6693 watts

Most generators are not rated for continuous duty.  I would allow for a 25% fudge factor when choosing the generator.

cattleman25

without looking i believe i read the sullivan blower uses 18 amps. i can run 2 of the sullivan blowers on y 5,000 generator but thats all. its a load. i would buy as big of generator as you can, i should have.  never heard anyone complain about to much power. jmo

bcosu

cattleman25 said:
without looking i believe i read the sullivan blower uses 18 amps. i can run 2 of the sullivan blowers on y 5,000 generator but thats all. its a load. i would buy as big of generator as you can, i should have.  never heard anyone complain about to much power. jmo

i have lol. i guess their only complaint was it took two or three people to load the generator.

Shady Lane

Remember that the starting load is most often very close to double the running load.

IE it takes twice as much power to get the blower started as it does to run it once it's operating.

I know my blowers will only run on a 15 AMP breaker for a few minutes but they seem to run ok on 20 AMP breakers so I would guess that somewhere around 18 AMPS is pretty close.

If you are careful to just turn on one motor at a time until they are all running a 10,000 watt machine would likely do it?

Like previous posters mentioned, more is better in this regard.

Feed Guy

I have a Honda EB 11000 that will run 4 blowers.  You cant use the outlets on the 110v outlets on the gen.  You have to split the big plugs down, fairly simply to do if you understand electricity.  I think you can still buy a EB 11000 for around $4000.  It is fairly heavy and takes a little room on the trailer, but you don't have worry about enough power.

drl

Thanks feed guy, i might have to pick your brain sometime on how to split the big plugs down to do that. Nothing I hate more than having to fight to have electricity on show day.

Feed Guy

drl said:
Thanks feed guy, i might have to pick your brain sometime on how to split the big plugs down to do that. Nothing I hate more than having to fight to have electricity on show day.

Sure just send me a pm, I have to redo my cords as they got stole at SF so it will be fresh.