Genetic Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLB

Ok, for you genetic folks out there...give me your opinions please.  I have a black PB maine (she has some white on underline)....I am planning on breeding her to Yellow Jacket.  The calf will be 3/4 maine...but what are the chances of me getting a colored calf (red, smokey, etc.)?  I am not sure if the female is homo black or not.  Thank you for any opinions/thoughts!

DLB

Sorry, forgot to include that info.  She's a MCF Special Powers (Power Plus son) X MCF Pay Rail (Pay Off son).  Not sure if there are any colored cattle in those lines. 

STAL19

We use to have a couple pay off cows and had a red calf or two out of them. So I wouldn't be surprised if you got a red calf out of yellow jacket

frostback

Not knowing if your cow is homo black or not Ill give a prediction for both.
Homo black cow and Yellow J 50% black  50% smoke.
Hetro black cow and Yellow J 25% black 25% red 25% smoke(grey) 25% yellowish or orangeish.

DLB

Thank you folks for the information!!  Pay Off is PHA/TH Free ( I do believe)  I had the cow tested, and she's double Clean.

johnmetzger

Used YJ on a 3/4 Fear This. Had a red hfr. calf out of the deal. Too much leg for what I'm looking for haven't used him since.

dimebag

I flushed a black Foreplay cow (not homo black) to Yellow Jacket a few years ago .. got 6 calves , 4 black , 1 red and 1 yellow .