Gestation on I-80 Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

LFFASHOWER

Had an et calf go 290 days and a full sib et go 275. Varies most I have heard come a week early or so.

Gargan

B1Gfan said:
Had an et calf go 290 days and a full sib et go 275. Varies most I have heard come a week early or so.

i agree, varies but i had one at 277 days a week ago.

bluffcountrycattle

We had one yesterday out of a first calf Tiger Woods daughter...68 lb heifer calf, 2 days early.  Looks great!

HGC

I also use 283 day gestation.  I always right down on our calving sheet how many days they are +/- from their due date.

Here are my I80 calves over the last couple of years out of a mixture of cows and heifers.  I have 4 more to go this year.

Heifers  +1, +2, +5, +1, +1, -3, -2

Bulls    0, +3, -2, -3, +1

If you average all of them, it is 283.33 days.

leanbeef

HGC said:
I also use 283 day gestation.  I always right down on our calving sheet how many days they are +/- from their due date.

Here are my I80 calves over the last couple of years out of a mixture of cows and heifers.  I have 4 more to go this year.

Heifers  +1, +2, +5, +1, +1, -3, -2

Bulls     0, +3, -2, -3, +1

If you average all of them, it is 283.33 days.

I kinda like that. I always have a due date down, just so we know when to be paying attention & don't let stuff slip up on us, and I think I remember the ones that either come real early or real late, but I think it would be interesting to pay a little more attention to the type of information you're keeping up with. I could probably go back for several years and compile the same for our cow herd...might be interesting to see that. I don't underatand why ASA stopped collecting that information unless nobody was sending it in anyway. Instead of trying to encourage people to include breeding dates, they just stopped asking for them. It isn't even an option to report anymore...

Bi-Lane Livestock

Weve had one come 2 days early and one come 5 days early, both heifer calves and out of heifers, (1/2 blood Simmi's) for what its worth.