Getting a steer fat

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cowsplusgoats

Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
17
I have a Brangus X steer that I want to get more fat on while maintaining his weight. I am not sure if that is completely possible. It would be ok for him to gain some just not 100’s of pounds.
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 2DF765E8-A255-43DF-A4B6-FEEBD7ED3A4B.jpeg
    2DF765E8-A255-43DF-A4B6-FEEBD7ED3A4B.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 272

Steve123

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
466
Looks like he is getting pretty close......along the edge of his loin, in his twist and brisket he is carrying some condition.

Good luck with him.
 

Cowsplusgoats

Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
17
T
Steve123 said:
Looks like he is getting pretty close......along the edge of his loin, in his twist and brisket he is carrying some condition.

Good luck with him.
Thank you Steve123

Gargan said:
Sweet feed
I’m curious. Like Horse sweet feed? Tell me more, brand and amount?
 

Gargan

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
3,053
Location
West Virginia
How far out is your show? If its within 30 days just add some rice bran oil to his regular feed ( start out with a cup a day and increase to 2 cups in a week if he eats it ok). But yes, a low protein high fat sweet feed will make him fat if that is your goal .
 

Cowsplusgoats

Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
17
Gargan said:
How far out is your show? If its within 30 days just add some rice bran oil to his regular feed ( start out with a cup a day and increase to 2 cups in a week if he eats it ok). But yes, a low protein high fat sweet feed will make him fat if that is your goal .
October 1 is the show. Thank you for the input :)
 

Gargan

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
3,053
Location
West Virginia
Cowsplusgoats said:
Gargan said:
How far out is your show? If its within 30 days just add some rice bran oil to his regular feed ( start out with a cup a day and increase to 2 cups in a week if he eats it ok). But yes, a low protein high fat sweet feed will make him fat if that is your goal .
October 1 is the show. Thank you for the input :)
Go with the stabilized rice bran is my suggestion.  (thumbsup)
 

vc

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 24, 2007
Messages
1,778
Location
So-Cal
I would use the Stabilized Rice Bran, one pound a day to start and work him up to 2 lbs a day over about a week, if your trying to hold him on weight, use a filler, sweet feed,  rice bran and calf manna(feed the calf-mana the same as the rice bran), you can keep him fresh looking and at the same time hold him some.
 

elisecoen

New member
Joined
Aug 28, 2020
Messages
1
High protein will actually burn fat and sweet feed may not have enough fat. Any additional feed needs to be introduced gradually. Make sure it is wormed. If you can weigh it, then you can figure out how much you should be feeding it. Good alfalfa hay, grain mix, and corn (rolled) will work. Be careful adding oils cause it may lead to scouring. Do you have implants? An implant can be inserted if done within 120 days of slaughter. This will enhance growth...these really make a difference. And finally, the type of steer you have may just be tall and skinny. Some breeds don't really fill out as well as others. Good luck!
 
Top