Getting cow hides tanned

Help Support Steer Planet:

Belties R Us

I have a shorthorn steer that I want to get the hide tanned from. However the local place we used to tan a deer hide didn't do as good of a job as we would have liked. The hair would shed everywhere. Does anyone have a place they recommend for tanning hides?(I am located in Ohio but would shop the hide to a different state to get a quality product). Thanks!

Lucky_P

Can't recommend a tannery - but the problem with the deer hide may not be your local tannery.
Deer hair is hollow and brittle, and tends to break off/epilate more easily than cattle or horse hair.  It's the nature of the beast.

Davidsonranch

herfluvr,
What did it end up costing? I know it's by the linear foot.  I've used Moyle on a lot of critter hides.  They do a great job.

herfluvr

hmmmm.  I've slept a lot since then but I am thinking we did one for our cousin about 6 years ago and I believe we paid about 400.00  or 500.00back then.  Again not cheap but the hides are beautiful and I have seen lesser quality ones sold at Denver and Fort Worth for 800.00+.  I buy leather as I make chaps and I can't get a wholesale nice one for under 500.00.  I think this company is just really good. 

And to the OP.  We shipped ours from the Midwest to Idaho.