Getting Hair to Pop

Help Support Steer Planet:

SSFSimmentals

I know that it has been discussed in fairly good depth on this forum regarding getting hair to "pop" and really grow, but I have an Unstoppable steer whose hair absolutely refuses to do so.  Keep in mind that his dam is in the field in 90 degree heat and has shag hanging off her like crazy, and last summer as a baby when I bought this steer (slick shorn when I bought him) I was able to grow an unbelievable amount of shag on him within a few months' time.  My county fair is the second week of August so I have 35 days.
I have been rinsing twice daily, rice root like crazy, drying and working hair for a good solid hour, then show coat and massage brushing it in and leaving him in front of fans.  However, it continues to be fairly lifeless.
As I said, I know that this topic has been previously discussed, but does anyone have any fresh suggestions?

Tallcool1

Well...we have an Unstoppable that is doing exactly the same thing.  The only difference is that we have our steer in a cooler and have for a month.

Our County Fair is this week and this steer is not going.  We are going to take him on to State Fair. 

As soon as we get our cooler to the point that he is the only steer in there, we are going to turn it down to 50 degrees, start rinsing with ice water, and put 3 turbo fans on him.  He is either going to grow hair or freeze to death!

One thing that we are seeing with this steer is that his ears are starting to get really fuzzy.  To me, that is usually the first sign of hair getting ready to start growing.