Getting prepared.

Help Support Steer Planet:

BuckJones

So as i've mentioned in my first post here, I've never lived on a ranch before. I've showed steers, but I imagine going to a ranch picking up a steer, feeding it, then selling it is much different then actually raising cattle.

My uncle is starting with cattle again, raising feeder calves. This offers me the opportunity to learn first hand what itl's all about. I'm in the city in business school but will be helping with his calves in the spring til they are sold. Trying to learn as much as possible about cattle before hand...in uni, we learn from reading.

He has a white CharXLimo bull that he will be breeding to his hereford cows, and a small hereford bull to breed to his heifers.
My interest is in some cool white or tan calves with the white hereford markings that will have a decent carcass and will also be decent in the show ring.
Of course, I know little but for the knowledge I have from raising a few steers.  From my experience, herefords are moderate size, goood muscling, and easy to finish. However, they haven't been the best animals to look at in the show ring for me.  I had one char steer, he had a big frame, put on fat covereage that felt like silk. He had decent fur, but had a flat, angus look to his muscling, he also had loose skin. I've had a few limos. I like the flat tops and big butts on these steers, but they are hard to finish, don't have good fur, and have too much muscle expression for a show imo.

Questions, what do you think I will get with the CharXLimo bull on the Hereford cows? I've not had much luck finding info about colour results, nor about what to expect from crossing different breeds. Know where I might find this info?

Thanks. :D

BuckJones

THanks. The char steer I had I'm pretty sure was from an angus cown that jumpedthe fence into the neighbouring charolais bulls. I only picked him for his colour, lol, which was the same colour as this bull in the vid.

But i'm wondering about colour heritability? The only thing i've been able to find is that Homozygous blacks throw black calves. Most white chars that I see have slick fur, while yellow charolais have long curly fur.