Getting Ready For Virginia State Fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ruebush Shorthorns

Here is our heifer that we have pictured on here a couple times.  She will be a yearling on October 2 and the State Fair is on the 4th and 5th.  The first three pics are of her today  clipped but not fit.  I am unsure if fitting will be allowed so I always wait to clip legs and tailhead at the shows.  She will be shown as a crossbred.  When I bought her she was kind of a brown or smoke color with the white, but now has turned into just black and white. She has been shown at 5 different shows  and has won her class 5 out of 7 times.  At 6 months of age was the first show and the judge placed her last in Shorthorn plus (the other heifers were huge) and 3 out of 5 in an October heifer class.  He thought she was going to be a toad and not get big enough to be a god cow.  Turns out he was a purebred hereford breeder, and was not much on clubby show heifers.  At the county fair she won grand breeding and grand commercial at 10 months old.  This will be her first true test against a lot of competition.  Seems like not a lot of people had started showing there fall heifers calves until now.  I also am putting on a couple pics of her from the other shows to show some of her progress.   The fourth was at the ABC Summer Bonanza in Maryland the begining of summer. The Last picture is from our fair in August where she won 2 grand champions  Feel free to comment on her.

Attachments

• Smokin Hot 043 Resize.JPG
    Smokin Hot 043 Resize.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 312
  • Smokin Hot 034 Resize.JPG
    Smokin Hot 034 Resize.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Smokin Hot 035 Resize.JPG
    Smokin Hot 035 Resize.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 301
  • ABC SUMMER JACKPOT 2008 015 resize.JPG
    ABC SUMMER JACKPOT 2008 015 resize.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Augusta County Fair 2 Grand Champions.JPG
    Augusta County Fair 2 Grand Champions.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 307

kane1598

I got to say that I really like her.  In my opinion she is more of a market type heifer, but I can still see that she looks useful as a female. She is really very thick and pretty and has some rib to her, maybe a little too clubby looking for a state fair, but I had one before like that ( a heatwave) and she really turned out and is doing very nicely for us.  Good luck.