Getting Show Heifer Back In Shape

Help Support Steer Planet:

sawboss

We finally received my youngest son's Brangus heifer back with a confirmed 30-45 day pregnancy.  She is pretty rung out from being on the pasture with a bull since May 30, I need some experienced insight to get her back in show condition.  Her first show is the county fair in three weeks, but really gearing her towards the majors.  By the way she hates dry beet pulp.  All input is appreciated!  Sawboss

kanshow

I'd use Full Tank in place of the dried beet pulp.  It's much more palatable.   

We pulled one back into shape this summer after being turned out for about 30 days.  We gradually started her back on a finishing ration with about 4% fat.  I really think the fat is the key.. IMO of course!

sawboss

We currently have her on grass, free choice hay and a 3.5% fat feed ration.  She looks well muscled and healthy, she just needs that round soggy look.  Very big framed girl for a 16 month old, long neck extension and smooth shoulder.  Thanks, and keep the help coming.

sawboss

The only problem with Winning Fill, is the nearest dealer to me is 90 miles, I did find a local dealer that carries Full Tank.  Is there enough difference to justify making the trip, or does Full Tank get competent results?

shortyjock89

Full Tank should be just fine..make sure she gets plenty of hay, and I would give her a fat supplement...Purina Dairy Nuggets work well if you can find them, and Showmaster Power Phat works really well too in moderation.  Other than that, just get her back up to full feed slowly, and don't let her get hog fat.

kanshow

You will get good results with Full Tank.    If you've found someone that carries Full Tank, ask them about the Power Up pellets too.  That's a pretty good fat supplement. 

sawboss

Thanks for all the input and help.  We will try the Full Tank, we are already using a fat supplement called Power Plus along with a protein supplement called Exceed.  We have had good luck with these products the past couple of years.  I am anxious to get her back in ring condition since she did so well for my son in the ring as a calf.  Thanks again for the help and I'll let you know how it turns out.

chambero

Phil:

Are you trying to get her fatter or just fuller looking:

If you are trying for full, a couple of cheaper options:

Can you get cottonseed hulls easy enough?  Mix some in with her feed.  My base ration is 27% hulls to begin with.

Can you get hold of wheat hay (baled with the heads)?  If you can, set a round bale out for her to eat on at night.  Whole wheat hay swells them up better than just about any other kind of hay I know.  Sudan might be a good second choice.

If you need her fatter, feed her like you do your steers for a couple of months.  You'll have plenty of time to slim her down before calving.

The way I know to use the stuff like Winning Fill is for when you are holding one and still trying to keep them full.  

kane1598

I was thinking about adding cottonseed hulls to our feed, which is a 10% protein show feed. We feed about 5 lbs of this twice a day mixed with 5 lbs of dry beat pulp and 1pound of calf manna - I swear by it for hair.  She gets free choice grass hay. Would cotton seed hulls be useful in this mix?