Getting white clean

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

What are some of the tricks you use to getting the white on calves clean?
I like Sullivan's Bright Lights Shampoo, you apply it, leave it in for a couple of minutes & the rinse. It has worked well for me.
Any other tips or suggestions?
Also what are some of your most challenging experiences you've had trying to keep an animal clean?
We had a red & white bull we showed. He always seemed loose. You'd get him cleaned up & ready to walk in the ring & next thing you saw was manure smeared all over his butt. It got to be expected that you needed a wet rag to follow you to the ring. He's our herd bull now & still has the smeary butt look!
Red (cow)

gocalves

I know the feeling. Personally, I like just soap and water.  ;D

red

I've been using EZ-All lately, really like it. Have you ever used it? It comes in a foamer applicator. Rinses out very easlily & doesn't leave build-up.

Red (clapping)

calfman

red said:
I've been using EZ-All lately, really like it. Have you ever used it? It comes in a foamer applicator. Rinses out very easlily & doesn't leave build-up.

Red (clapping)
I HAVE! Works great. Easy as pie.

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)  (cow)  (cow)  (cow)  (cow)  (lol)  (lol)  (lol)

Foamer.jpg

pecan_pie.jpg

red

GREAT Calfman!!!!
Loved it. I also like the adhesive remover they have. It doesn't smell like hocus pocus & you can use it when that calf is wet!
They also have a smaller size applicator that is nice for shows.

Red

Attachments

• ezall.bmp
    93.4 KB · Views: 803

calfman

red said:
GREAT Calfman!!!!
Loved it. I also like the adhesive remover they have. It doesn't smell like hocus pocus & you can use it when that calf is wet!
They also have a smaller size applicator that is nice for shows.

Red

Good To KNOW! Wow, I am in the mood for pie.  (lol)

red

yes, the 32 oz applicator has the sprayer already in the unit, so you don't need an extra sprayer tip. Plus you can leave it attached even when you rinse.
Red

brahmergirl

bluing shampoo.  Always works great for us!  Our brahma's never roll in the mud as they HATE to be wet and muddy but they will lay in the one scour cowpile in the 160 acres and have it smeared everywhere.  It tends to leave them yellow but if you put the bluing on, leave it for about 20 minutes, then repeat a couple of times, it normally comes out without problems. 

austin

brahmergirl said:
bluing shampoo.  Always works great for us!  Our brahma's never roll in the mud as they HATE to be wet and muddy but they will lay in the one scour cowpile in the 160 acres and have it smeared everywhere.  It tends to leave them yellow but if you put the bluing on, leave it for about 20 minutes, then repeat a couple of times, it normally comes out without problems. 

I think I'll try this! I have some bluing shampoo.

genes

Has anyone tried using the human version of the blueing shampoo (on their calves, not themselves...I won't make you admit if you need it)?  I don't know how much it costs, but if it was cheaper than like QuicSilver, it might be worth a try.

brahmergirl

Yup!  It's called the little old ladies blue hair shampoo and it works great too!  Just got to be careful you get the right shade of blue!  Don't want to go too dark!  The kind we've used comes in a gray bottle with a pink lid.  You can get it at your beauty supply places.  It works GREAT on Brahma cattle! 

:pOh, yeah, they're kind of blue gray in color anyways!  (lol)

cowz

This is an "old school" trick that costs less than the commercial bluing shampoo.  Buy a new container of Dawn Dishwashing soap.  Pour out and save  1/3 of the bottle.  Buy Mrs Stewarts bluing at Walmart, laundry isle,  fill and mix with the Dawn.  Squirt this on the stained spots when you are on the wash rack.  BE CAREFUL, this needs to be rinsed out very, very well.  It will also dry out the hair, so make sure you use alot of conditioner or revive later on after the show.

genes

You know I heard about that trick over and over, but I have never been able to find the laundry bluing.  ???  I can't imagine that they just don't sell it in Canada, but I didn't see it.  My horse sure could have used it for his (not-so) white tail.

cowz

genes said:
You know I heard about that trick over and over, but I have never been able to find the laundry bluing.   ???  I can't imagine that they just don't sell it in Canada, but I didn't see it.  My horse sure could have used it for his (not-so) white tail.

If you live around Hutterite or Mennonite folks, you should be able to find it in a drug or hardware store.  Old fashioned people use it in the rinse water for their bed sheets to brighten them before they hang them on the line.

genes

Hmmmm...thanks for the tip.  I'll keep an eye out and if I see it, stock up!  For now my strategy has been to stick to black legs on my calves  ;D  I can't imagine showing a Char *shudders*

Good ol fashioned ORVUS....

Comes in this big tub, some of you oldies might remember it. A little goes a long way and it works fabulous.
I think they still sell it in the Valley Vet Supply catalog.

red

You know Jill, that stuff does work great! We used it to wash sheep when I was in 4-H. I think you can get it a most TSC stores or livestock places.
It always was gross looking when it separated. Really need to keep it shook up!

Red