Give some credit where it is due!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

I have been kicking around the idea of posting this, for fear of opening up a can of worms, but here goes...
I know we all have people in the cattle business who have helped us endlessly and have truly done a lot to get us where we are today. This can be a parent or other family member, a fellow breeder, etc. I just think it would be neat to give these people some credit where it is due.
PLEASE LETS NOT TURN THIS INTO A "BASH" SESSION!!! WE ALL WILL PROBABLY HAE DIFFERENT VIEWS OF CERTAIN PEOPLE, BUT LETS TRY TO HIGHLIGHT SOME OF THESE PEOPLE AND RESPECT OPINIONS OF OTHERS, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT PERSONALLY AGREE. I WOULD BE SCARED TO DEATH TO POST THIS ON SOME OTHER BOARDS, BUT I THINK WE CAN HANDLE IT HERE ON THE PLANET.

I will start with mine...

1) My dad - other than his grandfather having some old hereford cows many years back, he had no real experience with cattle, but when I decided to start raising and showing cattle he jumped right on board with me and we are now partners in the farm. He has helped me with so much and has developed a true passion for the indiustry and has become one of many who can truly talk cattle for hours.
2) Brad Linden/Generations Farm Shorthorns - Basically my 2nd dad, this guy has done so much for me i could go on and on for hours about what a great person he is, in the cattle industry and as a wonderful person in general
3) Malinda Wells/ Eastern Sky Farm - Although I have not purchased anything from Malinda yet, I have found a true friend in her. She is one of the great people in the industry, she may not have the most cows, but what she has she truly prides herself in. I have spent hours on the phone with her talking about all parts of the industry.
4) Jamie Bond/R&R Cattle Co. - Wonderful guy who has done everything he can to help me out with purchases we have made from him
5) Brian and all the other Cates' - What more can I say, customer service is truly their passion and they do take care of their customers.

All of these people have helped me to get where I am at today and strive to become more successful. Thanks for everything you have done!!! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

knabe

my list (not in any order)

DL, for getting me started with maines, getting me panicked about PHA and TH, and for helping coordinate sample acquisition
Telos for endless pedigrees and tracking down vainqueur
XXCC for associating traits with pedigrees based on reality
J&J farms for getting me cattle and answering questions, and getting my cows to CA against some steep transportation odds, as well as advice and tours on fullbloods
my wife for allowing me to waste my money
my customers for reducing my waste of money
barkhurst for collecting prospector

stumpy

Rod Schoon, Dutch Acres Farms. If it were not for Rod I wouldn't have gained a true appreciation and love of the Shorthorn breed. As well his constant willingness to help me out and providing a clueless kid with the means to get started are gifts that cannot be described. I will always be grateful for what he has done for me.

Superblocker

Thank You too

My wife- for pushing me to move to the country and buy property. Now I love it
My daughter for working hard and making it all worth the effort we put into it
A&M Farms for producing great genetics that allow us to be in this ever so competitive industry
The Ballards for all of those endless questions they were quick to answer
My Boss for all of those promotions and for signing that weekly check for the last 17 yrs
4-H and FFA

Davis Shorthorns

Thanks to first and for most my great grandfather who if it were not for him I doubt that I would even be in the area that I am in today.  Second to Twig Marston.  He sold us our first couple of heifers a couple of years ago and has put up with my questions day after day at school.  Last but not least, my first neighbor that really took a liking to the young kid that just moved into the area.  Mr. Jim Smith (RIP) and his wife Mrs. Francis Smith.  With out them I dont think that I could have made it through the first few years.

ShowmanQ

I am glad to see the positive responses to this thread (clapping) I know that personally i would not be able to be where I am today without these great people willing to take some time out of their lives to help a kid who has no clue. A good quote that a close family friend is caught saying on basically a daily basis...
"The large producers, commercial cow/calf, and feeders are important to the industry, but the youth is our future and without them there will be be no more industry once the older generation has sold out"

shortdawg

Hey the STEERPLANET gang has meant a lot to me. I think most everyone has learned something on here.

I have to say one of my best friends in the cattle business would have to be Doc. We talk about once a week or so.

Gene McDonald was very instrumental in getting me started in the Shorthorn business.

Others that have helped me are Cory Schrag, Dustin Glover, Bill Rasor, The McFarlands, The Gottschalks, Keith Scott, and most any one else's herd I've visited or talked to. I've learned a lot just chewing the fat with other breeders.

shortyjock89

I really appreciate all the advice and good people I've met through Steerplanet.

I have to thank my dad for getting me into this great business. He taught me how to love the cattle, and the farm life.

The Leemon family has helped me so much too..from selling us our first heifers, to teaching me how to clip better, to hauling me to shows, and just being great friends. 
Jerry Vaughn, Dave and Stu McFarland, Denny Jordan, and many others that have helped us out or we have bought calves from when we didn't know so much.

last but not least, I would like to thank God that I have the opportunity to work with the cattle, and that he graced me with maybe just a little skill at it!

farmboy

my dad - hes got the money, owns the land cows equipment etc etc, would have nothing without him
Good Buddy Rusty Waddel, has shown and taught me everything i know aout cattle, has dragged me along with him to shows, clipped, fitted, broke a few for me, and everything inbetween that you could possibly think of, hes got my back and thank him for that  <cowboy>

JbarL

30deg 17&#039; 11.73 N 81deg 35&#039;59.94&q
knabe  sru  dl elbee  red ....thanks for your time to help me out.....cowboy ... telos...and many more folks for solid, accountable opions and advice on situations unrelated to me at the time.... but valuable "cow sense"...i can store in the vault......non sp thanks to john/aaron/benny/kay and gary / eric and kyle.....jbarl

Dutch Acres

stumpy said:
Rod Schoon, Dutch Acres Farms. If it were not for Rod I wouldn't have gained a true appreciation and love of the Shorthorn breed. As well his constant willingness to help me out and providing a clueless kid with the means to get started are gifts that cannot be described. I will always be grateful for what he has done for me.

Hey Stumpy, thanks for the kind words.  I couldn't have prouder of  you then the day you won Denver with the Vixen heifer.  I find myself trying to play catchup. You sure came a long way.  Now how about a flush on Vixen or her dam

Malinda

Showman Q,

Thanks for the kind words. Pat yourself on the back for wanting to learn.

I sometimes speak to 4-H clubs and the thing I hate to hear the most is: "This is my third year in 4-H (or FFA) and so I already know how to do all of this." No, you haven't been doing it long enough to know how much you do not know! So, I always enjoy talking with folks willing to learn....like ShowmanQ

Every time I go to a show, sale, visit a farm, etc. I go home figuring I still have a lot to learn! The folks on Planet have taught me a lot and many thanks to them. One family I have visited many times is Dick and Marion Barkhurst is Saratoga, Wyoming. Dick will, I think, be 81 this year. I could spend days talking with Dick. Talk about real world people and real world cattle. Absolutely salt of the earth folks.

I could type all day (with two fingers!) about what my Dad taught me. The VERY short version:
    how to regulate feed when the temp drops below freezing
    how walking in the mud effects feed efficiency
    starting rations, finishing rations
    sell the cow and shoot the bull
    a cow will make you pay...you can pay now or pay later, but she WILL make you pay
    his favorite word was "cull"
    effects of flies on efficiency
    pulling calves is not profitable!!!!!
    etc, etc.

The guy had a fifth grade education in a one room schoolhouse but must have been the first one in line when they handed out common sense.

Thanks again to all.

Malinda

red

let's see:

Jerry Cramer for selling us our first Maine cow.
Brad Winegardner & Mike Smith for all the help to win NAILE in 2000
Shawn (Oh B) for stopping by when I needed advice
My hubby for indugling me w/ cows & showing
our nephew Adam for putting up w/ me, AI'ing & helping at shows.
All the SP gang for being there in up's & down's
Gidget Funk for being my best friend & a wonderful sounding board
my dad & maternal grandfather for first giving me the ag bug
last but not least my customer who still come back to view my calves

Red

Simmymom1

(thumbsup)    I want to thank each and every one of you here on SteerPlanet that has given me advice and helped me out when help has been needed.  You guys are such good people with alot of cattle knowledge that has been helpfull to both my daughter and myself.  This has been our first year in the "show cattle world" and without the help I have received off of this board I don't know how we could have gotten through it.  I want to especially thank Cowboy for giving me some wonderfull advice on Mycoplasma back in November when we found out my daughter's steer had it.  He told me to be patient with the steer after we did everything we could with the vet, and all the advice he gave me turned the steer into a class winner at our fair.  Thank You Cowboy!!  Also, thank you Red for being such a good person to talk to and such a great moderator!!!  Steer Planet and the people on it are the Best!! 

jimmyski

Thanks you too:

First and foremost is my Father: He has been my inspiration and my rock to lean on. He has not only taught but also show me the value of hard work and dedication. Without him, I wouldn't have the start in the cattle industry that I have today. He also made me realize the importance of the experiences. As person who wrestled for 16 years of my life including a year of college, I thought I would be dissapointing him when I decided to quit and join the livestock judging team at Colby. However, it was just the opposite. He has supported me in whatever I decided to pursue and never once questioned me. He is my best friend and the person that I can go to with anything. Thank you dad!!

Jeremy Martin/Clint Taylor/Josh Stroh/Chad Murnin: My mentor's and coaches in the world of livestock judging. Without these four wonderful individuals, I can honestly say I wouldn't have the opportunity to become the person and coach I am today. It has truely been a priveledge to have had the opportunity to learn and listen from people that I not only consider peers but friends as well.

I think it's great that we are able to see the influences so many wonderful people have had on our lives. Many of them without any acknowledgement, but they do it anyway because of their amazing love and passion for this wonderful industry that we have opportunity to live and work in!!

justme

I'd like to thank my ag teacher from way back then Chuck Malone...he hauled my first lamb home in the trunk of his then new cougar.  He started my parents "nightmare" lol.

My parents for enduldging my desires to own livestock

My grandfather for teaching me the love of farming.  Only man I know who could make his farm "Five Teny Acres" produce so much along with love.

My husband for buying me my first 2 heifers...I really think he was trying to keep me pacified lol

Joel Litt from OSU/ATI....this man has the patience of a saint.  He taught me that anyone with the desire and heart can make there dreams come true.

Red...  who would have guessed 9 years ago I lived about an hour away from you.  It took me coming to Missouri and getting internet to find my best friend.  You keep my head on straight and remind me why I put the hours in to help my hubby.

Danielle and Evan...my kids.  Cattle sure are alot more fun with two little whippersnappers to enjoy it with!

Delilah...my daughters show heifer last year.  That heifer put more confidence in my daughter than I could ever imagine, for that she gets the best hay I can bale!

Bob and Colleen Majors....really great people that are helping us reestablish our Maine Anjou herd.  They have been super to us and ecspecially my daughter.

Many more people I cann't remember.  I've just been lucky to have so many people take me under there wing

red

You know, I forgot Cowboy.  <cowboy>  I've called many a time to ask a question. He has always been very patient w/ me. We're lucky to have such a caring, knowledgeable guy like him!

Red  (thumbsup)

Telos

My brother Chuck who gave me his two steer projects as he left for college; 1969 Champion Shorthorn and First Place Hereford Okla. and Tulsa state fair.

John Mixer, My first teacher of bovines and son of The famous Quarter Horse painter Orin Mixer who got me excited about showing cattle and teaching me how to really look at beef cattle.

Glen Farris,  wonderfully crazy cattle friend.

Brent Langman,  who helped me get back to my cattle hobby after a 30 year leave.

ZNT Cattle; Zane, Natalie and Tracy - You guys have made my life complete. Love Ya!!!

DL; She doen't know this, but my best teacher ever.

Knabe; My friend and perhaps the smartest person I know.

Red; My friend and the sweetess person I know.

...And all my SteerPlanet family; Thanks for the knowledge and entertainment. You help make my life a joy.

Dale

Dad (Burke)
Granddads (Donald & George)
Ron Frette--ag teacher
Les Mathers
Ernie Hendrickson
Mark Richardson
Roger Hunsley
Jim Gillooly
Herman Purdy
Jack Ragsdale
Eugene Byers
Don Cagwin 
Gene McDonald
ASA secretaries & other employees--all of them
Competitors (just a few of the many good ones)--Gerald Clodfelter, Harold Thieman, George Nickel, Joe Woods, Barry Jordan, Cates Family, Martin Nold, Bob Gordon, Rob Sneed, Steve Taylor, and several more.     

Latest posts