Goings on at the Red Hill Classic---????

Help Support Steer Planet:

kcoolage

Let me start by saying that my kids had a really good time yesterday. We were thrilled with how we placed and they day was beautiful. It was others I felt sorry for in the end. I am not naive in this "show business", I know that there are politics at every show and it usually doesn't effect us. We are not your Grand Champion or even Reserve. We are hardly ever your breed champion. We are your top half of the class or occasional class winner. It doesn't matter to me who the judge is or who is lined up to win, we don't usually get that far. As a low man on the totem pole, there isn't usually much to get worked up about--occasionally we raise our eyebrows and think--what?? (about our own animals and sometimes others). But yesterday gave new meaning to political or steer jock ran show. Never have I seen it be sooo blatantly obvious. The heifer show wasn't quite as bad although I raised my eyebrows a couple of times. I thought-wow-really, you're using that after you just didn't like one just like it in the last class.  Ok-that happens. By showmanship it was obvious what was going on and by the steer show, you just hung your head and felt sorry for those who didn't buy from the right guy. I realize we were close to his stomping ground but if you're going to line up every animal you sold to win--host your own show. There are several that do just that--if you buy here, we'll host a show for only those cattle we sold to compete. Don't host an open show but forget to tell those that didn't buy from that person, they're sunk before they get there. And if I thought I was being a too critical and it wasn't as bad as it seemed, I had my confirmation at the end of the show. I think it tells all when the Grand, Reserve, several breed champions, and class winners are lined up to get the picture with the person who sold them their animal--AND (here's the kicker) the sign above pictures that stated Red Hill Classic was covered by a new banner that said Showrite--Red Hill Classic 2011. So they pre-made their own banner--just in case?? I think not.

Cattle7

Who had Supreme & Reserve heifer? What about grand and reserve steer?

redhillag

Well guys i personally selected the judge so I guess that falls on me, I have been out of the show circuit for about 10 yrs and selected the judge on his past performance in college which was very strong. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. I will tell you I personally haven't bought or sold any club calves or had any dealings with that family. All I can say is when you select a judge any group of people can and will try to play the political game as much as possible. I will not ever play that personally, and that is why I generally try not to announce the judge. As far as the banner is concerned Show right offered the sponsorship for grand champion, and this show is VERY expensive to put on. Once again I apologize for anyone that feels this was a political show, as I feel my kids, and families worked very hard at putting this together.IF (and that's a big one at the moment), we even put this show on next year I would welcome any suggestions and input, as I do want to put on as good as show as possible.

Cattle7

Heard this show was terrible. Didnt make it to it due to other show. My recommendation is to pick an out of state judge. Not a local one. 

btkkkc

To redhillag I hope you folks will have the show again next year. This was the first year we have ever been to it our family really enjoyed the show on sat. it was well ran, the weather was great and I personally thought the judge did a excellent job and I would go show under him again. As  far in the steer show I felt he picked the best two steers their they just happend to come the same person. Please don't let the comments of one person get you down their were alot of people happy when they left the fairgrounds that day and our family was one of them.  Thank you.

mooch

My suggestion would be don't apologize for things you have no control over. A show has winners and losers and it is all one person's opinion on that day.You probably have one family on here posting to each other to make it look like it was the greatest travesty ever known to man kind.If you are lucky they won't show up there next year.If in fact you weren't happy with the judge , don't have him back.

SpotShowDad

I would like to THANK everyone who participated, supported, volunteered, or otherwise had anything to do with this show. It takes a tremendous amount of effort from a lot of people to put something like this together. As a parent and volunteer of this FFA Chapter we were extremely pleased with the turn out of both numbers and quality. It is extremely gratifying to have the caliber of cattle that we have had support this show the last two years. We greatly appretiate the effort of Garrett Helregel in sorting this set of cattle. The kids of this FFA chapter put forth a tremendous amount of effort to bring this show to the area and I know they deserve a HUGE congratulations for succeeding in this venture. Having been involved in this "industry" for 30 yrs now, I realize you can not make everyone happy. However, no one, including myself or the young people of this FFA chapter should or will apologize for the success of this show.

I would especially like to thank the sponsors who graciously contribute the dollars that make this show possible. The generosity of these people make it possible for our young poeple to continue to participate in these activities so many of us have shared with our own families, and continue to share with future generations of young people.

Sincerely

Mark Bowyer

ATOZ

One of my problems with the show is showing shorthorn plus with purebred shorthorn heifers. I would think that plus heifers should be in AOB classes.

redhillag

Once again thanks to everyone that attended, our kids and families worked very hard to try and grow this show in just 2 years and we were really pleased to see the high turnout, and the weather could not have been any better. I think if you look at the track record of the winning cattle they prove themselves. I do want to thank our sponsors for making the show happen, and all the vendors that showed up to show a great showing community.

nobody

I don't know where you folks are from, but I'm from NE Texas and I can tell you that around here livestock shows are a dying breed.  Especially breed champion shows.  Most of them are divison only and some have eliminated heifers and have gone strickly to market only.  Our alumni put one on several years ago and that was the one and only we have ever done.  I don't know which is harder, getting sponsors or a judge!  Hats off to you for hosting.....good luck in the future and don't let negative families get you down.

bruiser

I personally didn't go , but heard thru the grapevine that the judge was an " old buddy". My kids have been showing for a long time ( 15 years plus) and I really beleive its getting worse every year. I have thought of a way to eliminate alot of it- no eartags of any kind or color in the ring. Also no embroidered shirts or pullovers. Simple but I beleive it would work.

Eberth

I live no where near there and don't know anything about this show but have a few opinions on this matter. First off with the ear tags we put custom tags in everything we sell, for us this is a very cheap way to advertise cattle that we have raised or sold. It is not a way to try and politic our way in shows that our calves show in. On the politic thing, when I was showing we won quite a bit locally, state wide and nationally, politics are just part of the game and yes this is nothing more than a game that teaches young people the value of hard work and many life lessons. I'd guess close to 99%of the time the cattle that win shows politics or not deserved to win, no judge is going to use a pos to win a show over a good one. These people are the ones that work harder, have more resources, and in my opinion deserve to win. When I was showing we never spent big money compared to others and worked our tail off just like many others I know on this board have done also to get cattle across. I guess the point I am getting at is I am really sick and tired of people complaining about politics, cheating and what not in my opinion most of this comes from the people that have cattle that prolly can't compete anyway and that's fine know that go to the show be happy to participate and don't bring others and others reputations down because you are bitter or a sore looser.

cope

the guy you are talking about had the simmental heifer and the chi heifer in the supreme drive and both were left standing!! I am not saying he didnt take the steer show but there were no politics involved!!! he just had the best steers there.I thought the judge did a good job. It is not politics when you pick the best steers there!!!!!

bruiser

I know it sounds like whining, it may be, but my kids work as hard as anyone. What I'm tired of is being beat by inferior cattle that are promoted by a certain name on a tag. Your name will get out regardless of ear tags or whatever. If you are so proud of your cattle , leave off the tag, if you still do well, it was good cattle,if not your name is better than your cows. Personally a good steer should beat an inferior one every time. It shouldn't matter who raised them. If you can't see that point it's time to pull up your big girl panties and quit relying on your ancestors for a living

Donnie Paddick

Actually all those tags were cut out at the beef expo none of the steers had any in there ears and maybe one heifer did.

Eberth

If that post was directed at me, I do not rely on my ancestors for a living, I have a very good job and love what I do everyday! The ear tags will not come out if or cattle as it's the cheapest form of advertisement we have on a local level. If the people we sell to so choose to take the tags out than so be it, that is their choice. We don't typically sell cattle all that high normally and would rather sell to local families that will work and listen to our advice, and want our help. When I started out showing at 7 we knew nothing about show cattle, my dad grew up on a dairy and my mom showed sheep. I can remember feeling the same way that you did at the start but I worked my tail off got better every year and looked to the people that were winning for support and advise one of the biggest misconceptions in the show cattle world is that people that win are not willing to help or give advise and it is totally not true! My family knowing nothing and getting to where we are today is a prime example of this. With a little common curotesy and the will and drive to succeed anyone can compete and be successful in this game without breaking the bank!

justme

If your implying anything about Mr.Eberth, I hope you personally know him before you do.  He's a class act that has worked extremely hard to get where he is today.

We show at all levels, hearing the boohooing about politics is beginning to get very old.  It happens, its life.  Life isn't fair, you show because you love it.  I like to win like the rest, but we go because we love to show cattle, love the people, and its a place to learn life lessons.  Don't like the show, don't go next year.  Easy as that.