Gold Mine

Help Support Steer Planet:

clubcalve

Okay here it goes I have Been getting tired of black :eek: :eek: :eek:. So I was wondering what color you would get if you crossed Gold Mine with angus and how are the gold Mine calves Looking. (post Pics if possible)
THANKS ;D

frostback

If you are talking about Habegers Frosted red GOLDMINE then when bred to angus you will still get blacks. Half of the time they will be solid black and the other half will be smokes. He is a fall calf so I dont think there will be any calves on the ground for a few more months. Frostie

red

w/ Angus being homozygous black I'd think you'd get black calves. am sure someone will correct me if wrong.

Red

Sly

I think it would be 3/4 black calves and a 1/4 smoke but could be wrong.

TJ

ed is correct, but only in a way.  Yes, if the cows are homo black all of the calves will be black, but not all of the calves will look black because there is there is another gene at play here.  Charolais carry a "masking" gene.  When the masking gene is homo, it produces white.  When the masking gene is hetro, it produces smoke.  Since Gold Mine is obviously hetro for the masking gene (one copy of it, not 2), around 1/2 the calves should be smokes & 1/2 should be black. 

The other thing that needs to be considered is that Gold Mine actually is a red animal (2 sets of the red gene), but he looks "frosted" because of the way the masking gene works (think Mello Yellow & Orange Crush).  So, even though 1/2 the calves will be black & 1/2 will be smokes, all of them will carry the red gene. 

Simmental have what is called a dilluter gene & it is very similar to the masking gene, but the diluter gene throws more yellows (red) & mouse colors (black). 

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure that I am correct. 

Hope that helps.