Golden Child/Almost Famous

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

I hate doing this!  And any feed back will be greatly appreciated!!

What can you all tell me about these 2 bulls (BW/ Calving ease and calf quality mostly)

Golden Child-

Almost Famous-

Thanks so much
Fluffer

bcosu

i have seen a few golden childs. they didn't come huge but they were decently thick as calves. the three that i saw were a little bit fancier calves that weren't super thick. they were all hairy though.

chambero

We had several out of both bulls last fall.  No calving problems at all.  Overall, the Golden Childs were a little better.  Didn't have any complete duds out of either bull, but didn't get a great one either.  Have an Almost Famous steer in the barn that it pretty good and two close "misses" with Golden Childs.  We had a great heifer out of him that just had no hair whatsoever.  If she had hair, she'd run with anything down here.  One super stout steer that was just not correct enough on his front feet.

I used Golden Child again.  Didn't use Almost Famous.

OH Breeder

Saw quiet a few Golden Childs last summer and did not like them from the stand point- lots of structural problems. They weren't huge or too extreme either.
The Almost famous calves I saw were wooly mammoths. The individuals that had them did well with the calves. It was the first time that I ever saw hair hanging down over a hoof from the legs.

fluffer

Thank you for your comments  :)

Was mostly courious on the CE and BW on them.  You can have the greatest calf in the world but if you can't get him delivered or have to shoot your cow in the end it doesn't matter.  Glad no one is reporting calfing trouble so far

Fluffer

chambero

I don't remember if I ever posted these or not, but here is an Almost Famous calf we sold:

Mar002.jpg

Photo107.jpg

Same calf on his momma.

Mar005-1.jpg

Golden Child Heifer.  Picture not very good at all.  She's a good one, just no hair.  Behind the heifer in the corner facing the camera is a Golden Child steer.  You can see how his front legs twist out pretty good.

BRdoc

I have no experience with Golden Child personally. Have seen some good ones and some structurally inadequate ones. I have 6 Almost Famous calves born around Feb 14.
Had no birth problems and all are very consistant. I just sold one of the heifers that is a really good one. Famous does work better on deeper ribbed cows.

lowann

We have a really nice heifer out of The Golden Child. She is 16 months old now, very very feminine, hairy, walks smooth as a cat. She was shown this past summer, and did ok. All the judges that saw her liked her allot. She had a tough start in life. She got upper resiratory infection a couple of times, and slowed her growth. She is fine now, and looks great. She will stay in our herd. We will use him again for sure.

vet tech

OH Breeder said:
Saw quiet a few Golden Childs last summer and did not like them from the stand point- lots of structural problems. They weren't huge or too extreme either.
The Almost famous calves I saw were wooly mammoths. The individuals that had them did well with the calves. It was the first time that I ever saw hair hanging down over a hoof from the legs.
i have a heifer that has the hair like yours...hangibg over the hoof....its really amazing

yuppiecowboy

Chambro, I dont envy your calves, i envy your facilities. Wish we had oil pipe refuse and out of work welders up here.

Seriously, I take your posts to heed as you are a real cattleman, so it surprised me that your experiences were far different than mine.

I dumped out my AF semen. I am sure he has thrown a good one and maybe its just my cows, but if my gomer had gotten "un-sidewinded" I think I would have had better calves.

Golden Child for me has been a hard calver, but thay have been good and hairy. I think there are better bulls to use than either of these two, but if I had a cow in the chute and my choices were AF or GC, I would use GC twice.

SouthWest

I have seen some young Golden Child calves that are Very impressive.  I have 2 Golden Childs of my own.  The first blew out his front end when he approached 900.  Making a great feedyard steer now.  The second is about as massive and boned as one could have.  As he is approaching 900, I am starting to see similar results.  I will not buy or use Golden Child again.  My question is, as I have seen the win major shows as prospects, I have yet to see them win as Market.  Are they producing just great calves?  A great sire produces great mature offspring I believe.  Any picks of any mature Golden Childs out there?

farmboy

this is a golden child, as a baby he was a crippled, my buddy sold him to my cousin for 500 bucks. i saw this calf at 500 lbs, 800, then at 1150 he certainly looked his best structurally speaking at 1150.

he won his class which had 6 or 7 i think and was reserve division champion, and that hair..... :eek: :eek: :eek: my cousins family dosnt have any fans or a cool room. and yes his butt was massive, along with all the bone you could ever need

Attachments

• steershowpikecounty 007.jpg
    steershowpikecounty 007.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 602
  • steershowpikecounty 009.jpg
    steershowpikecounty 009.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 635
  • steershowpikecounty 008.jpg
    steershowpikecounty 008.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 599

farmboy

also you can view video of this calf on youtube. look for "pike county steer show"

or if you look at the website in my signature, there is a video link there

lowann

Nice steer! I like them with chrome.
We have another cow bred to GC for next spring. If it's a heifer, and as good as the last one we had out of him, it will be a keeper as well.
Our GC heifer, spring of 2007 weighed, at most 70lbs at birth. We lucked out. Several guys in eastern Iowa told us that their GC calves were so big, that  they either died, or killed the Mothers trying to be born. They will never use him again.

farmboy

ive heard of 150 lbrs from GC but .... coulda been the cow, alot of facts get distorted when the mother isnt taken into consideration/no scales are on hand