"Good" Angus Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

ploughshare

Really needs to be heifer safe, as this is who they want me to AI in the spring.

Do yourself a favor, heifer safe  means CED => 7, BW EPD < 2.5 and actual BW < 85 lbs.  I would also look at CEM so his daughters can freshen without much dystiesa. Does your customer sell feeders or retain ownership?  Best bet is a live calf and then a good weaning weight meaning good ww and milk, then YW.  Do they sell show calves?  That might be a game changer.

Another bull would be Kreb's MR Rushmore

JMO. 

jmb1498

Heifer safe, correct,and big body = Northern Improvement, Bismark, BC Lookout all proven CE with some look and body.

CHW

TC Aberdeen is another option we used. Nice set of calves but probably wont give you the great one. A lot of people have been using SAV Brilliance, they are suppose to be better than his sires, Bismark, but I haven't seen it yet. SOO LINE Motive is another calving ease bull that can be used. He was the best bull in SOO LINES pen of bulls last year in Denver.

fryguy

Bismark - Thunder - Sinclair Extra 4x13  and I have two Nationwide calves that are looking very good. The one nationwide bull calf has to be the most docile angus calf I have every seen, 80 bw on the bull calf

Dyer Show cattle

Final Answer would be my first pick. One of his sons Pendalton I hear is throwing better calves but does not look as good himself.

One of the best purebred angus bulls I have seen mature in person was Aberdeen. He is big and stout. He was right next to sunseeker when I saw him and he looked almost the same without the 4 inches of hair on him. But I have never seen a calf in person and have not used him myself.

One I can say didnt work for me was BC lookout......worst set of calves I have had out of first calf heifers . Never looked good as babies and never looked good when I sold them as feeders. They did calve easy but they had no growth or width to them. Every calf I had out of my purebred Angus herd bull (EXT backround) was better start to finish.

kfacres

Thank you to all who have replied to this post.  I for one have learned quite a bit, through researching the 29 bulls spoken of.  I have it narrowed down ( for now) to the following 8 bulls.  Any more info on these bulls, or others is still greatly appreciated.  I'm really not sure of the pedigrees of the cattle that will be getting bred yet.. so that alone could help narrow it down further. 

Connealy Thunder (3 reccomendations)
Jacies Ramblin Fever
JSAR Rodman
Limestone Darkhorse
Limestone Great Divide
PVF Payday
Silveiras Style
Sitz Dash.

thanks again

furinsilex

I dont mean to bash the bull but i had heard from cattlemen that i really expect that style didnt have enough forerib and based on those opinions i avoided him this fall.  Is there anyone else that agrees or maybe completly disagrees with this?  I am just curios bc i am def against most the hype with this deicision.  Any opinions are welcome.

Cattledog

furinsilex said:
I dont mean to bash the bull but i had heard from cattlemen that i really expect that style didnt have enough forerib and based on those opinions i avoided him this fall.  Is there anyone else that agrees or maybe completly disagrees with this?  I am just curios bc i am def against most the hype with this deicision.  Any opinions are welcome.

There were a couple of things that I would change about style but forerib wasn't one of them.  I looked the bull over for a long time and if I could change something it would be to make him just a tick longer bodied and also make him a tick stronger in his rear pasterns.

racekannon

I would not use Payday as he as a CED of 4, 7 is heifer acceptable and I had some monsters out of him this fall.  My alltime favorite is BR Midland easy calving, great mothers, and show appeal.

Cattledog

Monsanto02 said:
TC Aberdeen is another option we used. Nice set of calves but probably wont give you the great one. A lot of people have been using SAV Brilliance, they are suppose to be better than his sires, Bismark, but I haven't seen it yet. SOO LINE Motive is another calving ease bull that can be used. He was the best bull in SOO LINES pen of bulls last year in Denver.

I've got a couple of Aberdeen and Brilliance calves coming.  I figured Aberdeen to be a safe bet with heifers.  The ones I've seen haven't been super stout but kind of take the muscle shape of the cow.  I've been real impressed with the Brilliance calves that I've seen.  It would be kind of hard to compare Brilliance and Bismark because they breed so differently.  I've always seen Bismark used successfully to moderate frame.  He'll make them a rib shorter too.  The Brilliance calves that I've seen are more extended with more frame.  I like both but think that the Brilliance calves will show better.  His next calf crop will tell the story.  There should be enough of them to make or break him.