Good books for flight or summer reading

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Does anyone have any book suggestions for my flight? I like suspense, courtroom drama & war stories. Not big on romance novels & such.
Just want something to read & enjoy, don't want to have to think to hard!

Red

shortyjock89

The Rainmaker by John Grisham is really good...I just read it for like the 5th time lol.  Ummmm...Shoofly Pie by Tim Downs is awesome, as is Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.  Those latter two books are both the first of a sort of series..not TOO long, and all three of those guys are excellent authors IMO.

edit: Forgot to add that I just got the newest in the "Odd" series of books, and it's really good so far.    Chuck Palahniuk(author of Fight Club) is another of my favorites, but he's kind of WAY different, and might be slightly disturbing  (lol)

red

Justin- I read the Rainmaker & at times I have to stick Dean Koontz in the freezer I get so scared!
Does John Grisham have any new books out?
I like James Patterson too.
What is the Berrybender about?

Red

shortyjock89

Yeah, Koontz can get kinda scary, but his books are always keeping me on the edge of my seat. Odd Thomas is different from his usual stuff..not as creepy, but just as exciting I think.
I think that Grisham is writing more and more books like "The Painted House" and "Bleachers", so if you're into his books like that, I think he might.
I like the Alex Cross books of Patterson, and I really liked The Jester..don't know if you've read it, but it's about a man from the Middle Ages that has all kinds of adventures, including joining one of the Crusades.

red

Shebet21 said:
John Grisham's new one "The Appeal" came out earlier this year. Very good book, especially if you like his other work.

hadn't read that one yet!

Red

shortyjock89

Shebet21 said:
John Grisham's new one "The Appeal" came out earlier this year. Very good book, especially if you like his other work.

Shebet- Forgot about that one! I just almost got it the other day, but got Palahniuk's Choke, and Koontz's new book instead...

dutch pride

really like James Paterson as well. Like Tom Clancey but don't there is is anything new and they are long and somewhat complicated. Sandra Brown has some good reads that are not too heavy. Not sure if this would float your boat or not but the Harry Potter series is pretty good for light reading. There are a lot more, I always have a book going on my bedside table and read two or three when I go vacation. I should probably read to learn and increase my knowledge but usually just read for pleasure.

DLZ

Doc

Red , You gotta read something by W.E.B. Griffin or by Vince Flynn.
Vince writes about CIA stuff from modern times .
WEB has a couple of different series , one of which is the Brotherhood of War series.
I really like both guys.
You can throw in David Balducci & Tom Clancy.
  " The Appeal " was pretty good, didn't realize it was a real story until I got it home.

shortyjock89

Doc, which Baldacci book is your favorite?  I have a book by Flynn, but I haven't read it yet...probably will on the way to Jr. Nationals or somethin...

I also like Ken Follett, especially Pillars of the Earth, and I REALLY want to get the sequal to it...

Doc

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Doc, which Baldacci book is your favorite?   I have a book by Flynn, but I haven't read it yet...probably will on the way to Jr. Nationals or somethin...

I also like Ken Follett, especially Pillars of the Earth, and I REALLY want to get the sequal to it...

I like his latest " Simple Genius" pretty well, but the camel club series will keep you reading. Flynn is great. Which one did you get?

showgirl2010

My favorites are the Dakotah Treasures by Lauraine Snelling, The Heirs of Montana by Tracie Peterson, and any Beverly Lewis series.  

Snelling and Peterson are Christian books based in the dakota and montana territories from way back when.  Lewis writes about Amish and is also a really easy read.

Also anything from Gary Paulsen is adventerous.

Jamie

Dusty

Right now I am reading Liberal Fascism by Jonah Goldberg, it is pretty good if you are into the history behind out current political ways of thinking.  "The Informant" is a really good book based on the true story of the lysine price fixing scandal involving ADM a few years ago.  It's really good and it gives you some insight as to what really happens behind the scenes, and what you have to do to get ahead in the corporate world.
Atlas Shrugged is another really good book.  It is basically about government's intervention and regulation of business to try and make things fair and the ensuing train wreck that follows..  It's pretty long though...

Ruchian

Doc said:
Ruchian said:
I like Louis L'Amour and Clarence E. Mulford.    <cowboy>

Hard to beat L'Amour, got every one he has ever written.

I don't have them all yet but I'm getting there.  The Clarence E. Mulford books are hard to get.