Good ole clubby genetics...what a train wreck

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

Kansashow...that calf now has a design butthole!  But Still think you should have named her Bumhole!

We had a perfectly normal calf born with just  a tiny stump of a tail.  We named him Stubby.  It was a shame too becasue he was the best steer we had that year.  All in all he tasted good though!

Shady Lane

I have seen a few calves born without tails myself.

One, had a small 3 or 4" nub that stuck straight up out of her tail head and never moved.

She was a bit of a cripple as well, super straight legged and her hocks snapped  a lot of times when she walked.

We raised her to weaning and shipped her.

I have no idea what causes it, I'd be really interest to find some research on this deffect.

frostback

I wonder if you could market him to the Dairy industry? If they figure out what causes it they would not have to worry about docking tails or shaving them.

justintime

FutureBreeder said:
justintime said:
Could this have happened if you didn't put the entire straw of semen into the cow when she was inseminated? The tail may have been left in the straw. Sorry I had to ask!  haha

(clapping)

I am guessing that this is why they always put a plug in one end of the semen straw, so that you don't make a mistake and inseminate the semen in backwards. Not only could this result in backwards calves, but you stand the risk of having a calf born with no head, if you don't empty the straw during insemination.

Hilltop

justintime said:
Could this have happened if you didn't put the entire straw of semen into the cow when she was inseminated? The tail may have been left in the straw. Sorry I had to ask!  haha
I laughed so much I almost......... well you know!!  I still can't believe he actually asked what he did............... Well maybe I can. I think of this story every time we AI a cow!!!!

justme

Our vet said the ambilical cord probably was wrapped around ours and cut off the blood supply thus it came off.  Made sense to me (thumbsup)

kanshow

Yes our heifer has a custom made bumhole!    She's so proud of it, she uses it everyday! 

cdncowboy

Neighbors had a heifer with no tail, she lived the summer in our pasture.  Definitely surprising to see a Char. heifer in with a bunch of blacks then low and behold she was missing parts.  I'm told she still tasted just fine.