Good stories in spite of it all!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Ok, so I have concluded that some kids prevail even if their parents are, well, not so moral.  Like the kid I saw at Denver who told his Dad to relax and deal with it.  The Dad was raising hell about getting beat in the show ring, and making a complete butt of himself. The kid basically told his Dad to shut up, and he walked his calf to the wash rack!! YEA for him!!! (clapping) (clapping) I am not advocating disrespecting your parents, but that kid did a great job, and I might add, his Dad did quiet down!!
So what other good storied do people have about the youth or adults? :)

red

I guess mine is when a young person says "thank you". I've worked w/ several kids over the last couple of years & it's just nice when they say those words on their own. To me that's the sign of good upbringing!
I also had a young man at the expo who helped me bring my heifer in. He offered to lead her for me after she got way. I really appreciated that & was sorry I didn't get his name.

Red (clapping)

nysteerguy

Last year was my sisters first project steer year and she is only 9.  Anyway at our fair she had done a solid job in the early stages during showmanship.  As a junior she had really no shot of winning at all.  Well once she was beaten, not even placed, while the other kids stomped off angry or crying she handed my dad her calf and promptly went to congratulate the winner.  I just thought so highly of that respect and good sportsmanship.

Joe Boy

Great kid your sister....... I bet you are too.....

Most of the kids I have watched show dignity at the moment of being beaten but walked behind the barn with Mom or Dad or a friend and blasted the winner......  Your sister is very special.....  my guess is that so are your parents....

ELBEE

I've been on the fair board for 20 years, and the thing I noticed most is, the kids get along and have a good time when the parents aren't around.

cowz

Well said, ELBEE!   Things tend to get complicated when the density of 4H mothers exceeds 2! (lol)

This is one of my favorite good kid stories.  This actually happened about 15 years ago.  When I was fresh out of school, I somehow managed to get roped into judging all the 4H carcass contests.  I traveled around the state, but still did the contest for the neighboring counties in which I did casually know some of the kids.  Now this one family didn't have much financially, didn't dress well, showed their calves in ratty tennis shoes, drove an old jalopy, but the kids were workers!!!  These kids did it all in 4H, but there are always a couple of old nasty crones that tend to make life miserable for this type of kid.

Anyhow, I was computing the results for which steer won the contest.  We used a point scoring system for ranking the carcasses based on Quality and Yield grade.  The extension agent and the old crone were anxiously awaiting which steer would win.  I said it is tag------.    Oh, NO! They said in unison!!!  You must check your measurements and scoring.  Refigure your results!   That is a sale barn calf that is half HOLSTEIN!!!   It cannot be!!!  I placated them by refiguring and remeasuring, etc.     

The moral of the story is :

1.  Half holstein steers can grade PRIME and be a yield grade 2!

2.  Kids with no resources but with lots of determination can still take home the big buckle and the $500 premium check!!!! (clapping)