got a problem need advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bone2011

Today i got one of my steers in to treat ringworm, and in the process i glanced at his belly and i noticed on the front side of his sheath it appears to be swollen, its like fist size and not real soft but not hard either,  but he has always been a very cleaned sheathed steer. i am really worried and need advice cause this is my best steer and a very very expensive one at that.

kobo_ranch

Not sure, but have you noticed if he's been urinating?  If not he could have a kidney stone.  It will swell up right where you are talking about.  We have raised show goats for years and always had to watch for that in goats.   It will kill goats within a couple days.  This year we raised club calves and were told the same thing, that they can get it as well.  Husband is not here or I would ask him the exact medical term used.  But I would sure watch him, if that is his problem you've got to doctor 'em real quick.  I think you use ammonium chloride sprinkled on the feed.  But you need to check  with your vet asap if not urinating!  Good luck!

Bulldaddy

Can't diagnosis this one without an examine.  Could be an infection that needs to be drained and treated with antibiotics.  I would recommend spending the time and money to take him to the vet.

Show Heifer

I do not mean to be mean, but please, use proper terminology, even if it makes you uncomfortable. The proper name is penis. It sounds much more professional and knowledgable.

Could be multiple things; urinary infection, abcess, surface infection, wart or a sexual transmitted disease. I would suggest you take him to a good vet. Good Luck.

Bone2011

Show Heifer said:
I do not mean to be mean, but please, use proper terminology, even if it makes you uncomfortable. The proper name is penis. It sounds much more professional and knowledgable.

Could be multiple things; urinary infection, abcess, surface infection, wart or a sexual transmitted disease. I would suggest you take him to a good vet. Good Luck.
Whoops. Sorry I apologize

Bone2011

I am very sorry for using bad terminology, and i am very sorry if offended you. I checked on him four times last night when i was checking heifers and he seems to be doing fine and we went up to do chores this morning(cause we had a late stat) and he had his ears up and he was standing eating hay. So I called the vet she came out here and she didn't know exactly what it was but he was urinating so she gave him a shot of something and told us to keep a eye on it. tonight after practice I went to feed and he was bucking around so i have no idea what it is. I'm just glad the little bugger is still alive!

jasper

GC said:
I am very sorry for using bad terminology, and i am very sorry if offended you. Oh forget about it..we all make mistakes or use wrong choice of words sometimes.

I checked on him four times last night when i was checking heifers and he seems to be doing fine and we went up to do chores this morning(cause we had a late stat) and he had his ears up and he was standing eating hay. So I called the vet she came out here and she didn't know exactly what it was but he was urinating so she gave him a shot of something and told us to keep a eye on it. tonight after practice I went to feed and he was bucking around so i have no idea what it is. I'm just glad the little bugger is still alive!

what does that mean she had no idea? that makes me a little uncomfortable. How could he be so swollen and, you really have no answer. Was it an antibiotic she gave him? I'm taking a wild guess that it was... will you please keep us updated on this? I am just curious ...