Got our Barn Camera Up and Going

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

I think there was a discussion on here a while back about use of surveillance cameras for cattle.

Well, we got one installed and up and running today.  Basically, we have one remote control camera mounted in the center of our lots in town that feeds into our office by hard wire.  There is a DVR with LCD computer monitor that we can control right there.  Works great - day or night and doesn't require much light to see good enough at night.  This is all wired in through our DSL line where you can access it remotely.  Camera can be moved and zoomed over the internet.

We've got 55 heifers in town right now getting ready to calve.  If anyone is interested in looking at our system via the internet, shoot me a PM and I'll provide you with a link.  Its a little slow moving the camera over the internet, but picture quality is very good. 

This kind of system might work great for trying to sell cattle, especially as things "speed" up a little.

cowz

That sounds awesome!  Do you mind if I ask how much your system cost to set up and what kind of computer you hooked onto??

chambero

We didn't do it ourself.  One of our part-time sheriff's deputies has a side business installing security cameras.  This thing isn't specific to cattle at all.

We haven't got the final bill, but I think it is supposed to be around $5-$6K.

Computer doesn't really matter.  The thing is just hard wired into a DVR kind of like you would have for your TV. 

kanshow

Wouldn't you need a computer if you wanted to broadcast a live webcam?    That's the part that tripped me up last year. 

chambero

The DVR plugs straight into our DSL outlet.  Other than that, I couldn't tell the technicalities of how it does it.