Gotta see this picture....

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I don't know many details about the carcass qualities of Highland cattle, however, I remember a few years ago when the Carcass competition at the Royal Winter fair in Toronto was won numerous times by animals from Highland cross dams. I have been told that they have superior marbling characteristics.

One of the traits that Highland breeders promote is that this breed has the ability to adapt to most enviromental conditions. They are probably one of the most hardy breeds ever developed, and it may be that the hair coats insulates against heat as well as it does cold. Highland cattle are what I would call , on the small end of moderate size, and they should work well when crossed with some of todays bigger breeds.

There are a number of Highland breeders in Ontario, which is close to where you are, OH Breeder. There is always a Highland show at the Royal Winter fair. A few years ago they had a gala Ballroom sale at the Royal. It was held in the main ballroom of a major hotel in Toronto. The cattle were taken to the ballroom in the freight elevator. Bruce Miller from Texas was brought in to be the auctioneer. Bruce said he had never seen as many tuxedos, evening gowns and furs. If I remember right, I think the sale averaged close to $8000.  I think there is a pretty good demand for Highland cattle, but you certainly can purchase them more reasonably that what this sale averaged , on the farm. I know one Highland breeder told me that he sold almost all his Highland calves privately for $2500 - 3000. They are extremely docile cattle, making them perfect for the small acreage owner who wants a conversation piece that keeps the grass down. They are trouble free, hardy and low maintainance. They are extremely easy calving, probably as easy as Longhorns.

I am not sure if there is still a Highland show and sale at Denver. The last time I showed cattle in Denver there was a Highland show and sale. The sale was sizable with about 50 head in it.

OH Breeder

JIT,
I think you are right, the cattle we breed are not engineered to adapt very easily with their hair coat. Maybe I am wrong, but I would think since that is a trait the cattle are known for they would be more likely to adapt and you wouldn't have cattle suffering in the heat. From what else I read their carcass quality is a another plus. They are easy feeders that gain welll, they may not pull in the big numbers on finish weight but what is there is of excellent quality. Sometimes I think we breed freaks of nature that just happen to have a ton of hair and they are not very adaptable. JMO.... :-\

shorthorns r us

did you check on whethter or not they put on external body fat.  that could be a big problem in she showring.

pigguy

any one know where i can get ahold of semen of a decent highlander. i have a heifer that is needing to be bred in december. might be interesting?