Grains and why to feed what? Discussion Topic

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

NHR said:
This is a ration someone sent me one time:

950 lbs corn
600 lbs oats
350 grain 4 T Fyer (this is a purina product)
135 cotton seed hull
25 lbs rumecin 600
20 lbs gold N'Flo (sold at sullivans supply)

NHR - the 4T-Fyer already has cotton seed hulls in it so I'm not sure why you would want to add more. I might substitute or add SBM. I add Soy Bean Meal (SBM) for two things, coat and marbling. A little goes a long ways.

I also like Rumencin for feedlot and show steers.
Great topic NHR.

Cowgurl101

I really enjoyed reading this post - thanks for all the info. I need to learn more about this type of thing - exactly how much of each nutrient is needed, the correct percentages for all the nutrients, and the effects of all the different types of feed. I will have to customize my feed this year, and i really dont know what i should aim for or have incuded in my ration, or when to add beet pulp, cottonseed hulls, ect. The feed mills around here seem to know nothing about feeding show cattle - they dont offer much help. Is there  a website i could read, or should i ask a feedlot manager,ect? Any ideas would be great - i love this type of stuff and realy need to learn more about it. For instance - this year i had 2 steers, similiar frame size, one with a more rugged big boned look and the other more  refined and pretty. I  feed mine cob( for lack of knowing what else to do) and though the more rugged one would need more feed. turns out the pretty one started growing in frame size,grew too tall, and didnt finish. The other gained more weight and less frame, and finished too early. I saw this happening, but didnt know what to change in thier feed. The pretty one had a bad appetite and needed more volume and  a softer look, and the other one needs a firmer, fresher look. Im trying to learn now for next year so im prepared for stuff like this. I appreciate your help!! ;D

Show Dad

CG101 - Remember, feed only works inside the genetics of your animals. Know you genetics and feed and try and match the two. You want to get the most out of your genetics so make sure your feed can do that.

I would find a knowledgeable feed salesman or beef nutritionist they could get you started.
<alien>

Dusty

There isn't a lot of show feed salesmen out there, I think you would better off buying a couple calves from a breeder that has been in it for awhile, possibly has kids that show too and then get some advice from him on how to feed and what to do to get the calves at 12 oclock.

NHR

johndeereboy said:
NHR do you feed that to steers or heifers? or both?

I am not feeding that mix yet. I am looking to find someone to mix it. The cost I have gotten so far make it more expensive then the pre packaged show feed we use now.

Latest posts