Grandmaster and Capiche

Help Support Steer Planet:

KMJCC

Anyone have any experience with either of these bulls.  Was thinking about ordering some semen on them.  Are they easy calvers and what about quality of calves?  Thanks!

The Show

All the GM calves I've seen have been really good. I've got one due this fall. I'll make sure to post some pics.

DakotaCow

I delivered semen to a customer yesterday and he had about 30 grandmaster calves, I was impressed so far at this age. For calves they are deep ribbed and square hipped and look really good!

bc6552

1/2 of our Simmental herd was bred to Grandmaster.  I would question the accuracy of his EPDs.  Our birth weights ranged from 70 to 115 lbs.  We bred to some heifers feeling that his EPDs suggested that he would be safe to use.  We spent many nights watching the heifers.  I am not planning to bred anymore heifers or small cows to Grandmaster.  The calves expressed more bone, width of shoulder, and square shape of head which caused some calving difficulties - some required to be pulled.  I would also question the structural correctness of the bull, many of our calves are bold and straight shouldered.  In general, the Grandmaster are nice calves, but we have other sires that are out growing them.

Average Joe

bc6552 said:
1/2 of our Simmental herd was bred to Grandmaster.  I would question the accuracy of his EPDs.  Our birth weights ranged from 70 to 115 lbs.  We bred to some heifers feeling that his EPDs suggested that he would be safe to use.  We spent many nights watching the heifers.  I am not planning to bred anymore heifers or small cows to Grandmaster.  The calves expressed more bone, width of shoulder, and square shape of head which caused some calving difficulties - some required to be pulled.  I would also question the structural correctness of the bull, many of our calves are bold and straight shouldered.   In general, the Grandmaster are nice calves, but we have other sires that are out growing them.

Ive seen you post this before
How many cows are half your herd??  and what pedigree or breeds did you use him on?? The ones Ive seen have been really easy calving,  have herd of a couple larger ones out of heat wave daughters but you would expect that out of any bull

KMJCC

Is there much difference from his bull calves to heifer calves.  I believe they have sexed semen on him so didn't if it would be worth it to order the sexed semen if his females were more marketable.  Any info on Capiche?

The Show

They do have sexed semen on him. I bought a bred heifer that is bred with heifer sexed semen. I talked to a guy that had 5 bred to heifer sexed semen and he only got one heifer though so I don't know how good it is.

Latest posts