grinding

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

On of my heifers grinds her teeth when I walk her, or have her tied, How can I make her stop???

I also have a heifer that is super stubborn, She will NOT lead, no matter what, We have tried having people push her,but she just stands there, What can I do??

Thanks a lot

AAOK

Some of them just grind their teeth.  I don't know of anything you can do.  They usually stop as they get used to the routine.

For the stubborn heifer, keep her tied so she can get up and down, but can't get to food or water.  At feeding time, untie her and lead her to the food and water.  If she won't lead, tie her back where she was.  She will lead pretty soon.

tackes

I have heard, and am not sure how true this is, but that whe cattle grind their teeth, they are in pain.

Is there something that could be causing her pain?

just something for you to consider?

BCCC

I wouldn't imgine she would be in pain, except maybe the halter, but she doesnt pull hard on it or anything, it shouldnt be bothering her either

Jill

Ours aren't in pain, they are grouchy.  They are just like kids, you're making them do something they really don't want to do and it is their way of backtalking.

doubled

We had a steer that ground his teeth everytime we showed him, he was a pain in the butt too- They dont grow out of it, its a habit.
Do you know someone with a mule or donkey, or you could tie her to the back of a hayrack and pull her some, real slow.

BCCC

Yes we have 5 donkeys, but two are mommy's, two are baby's, and one is a jack that needs to get his feet trimmed

Rodeo

This topic is of great interest to me, too. We have a beautiful Shorthorn heifer who will lead OK at home, but in the ring, she grinds her teeth and refuses to walk. My daughter has managed to get through two shows with her, but the judge doesn't want to look at a calf being pushed by the ring man. We've worked with her as much as the other calves, who cooperate pretty well. It's frustrating. She's a doll to groom, fine to set up, just doesn't want to walk. She does remind me of a petulant child. I'm thinking of hiring a cow whisperer... if there is such a person.

red

I had one that would grind her teeth so loud the judge laughed at her. She was just a beast. Nice mannered but it was a habit w/ her. Another would snort as she walked. I think they each have their own little quirks like we do.

Red