GRingo

Help Support Steer Planet:

blue

I have a heifer out of the Gringo bull.  Can anyone tell me anything about him.  There does not seem to be much information around about him.  Why is there no semen available anymore from him. Thanks

Chap

Gringo was a shorthorn influenced (don't know %) that was used heavily by Mid Continent Farms.  Check out progeny here
http://www.midcontinentfarms.com/champions.html

Jill

http://www.cattle.com/semen/bulls/Gringo.aspx-Here is a link that shows his picture, he is one of those bulls that looks bad in every picture I have ever seen of him, but Mid Continent Farms sold some really nice calves out of him.  He is a TH carrier, I think he is a purebred but not positive on that.  Genetic Horizons still shows him on the web site so I would assume they are still selling him.

shortyisqueen

Blue,
Gringo was a 100% (no-asterisk) Shorthorn bred by Gary Woods, in BC, Canada. His momma is a roan cow they showed for a number of years.

Here is his pedigree, etc., information
http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=CAN&_association=21&_regnumberprefix=M&_regnumber=468847&_regnumbersuffix=

I saw him as a calf (at the end of August) at the Armstrong Fair and again at Agribition - He was a very stylish bull calf but didn't have a whole wack of hair, so it surprised me a bit that he was a TH carrier. Like Jill said, he doesn't take the nicest picture and that's probably one of the reasons why. He was probably one of my favorite bull calves of that fall. The people judging the shows that fall didn't do anything with him, but as far as I was concerned, that was more a 'who owned him' issue than a 'not being competitive enough' issue.

garybob

There are, actually about 3 or 4 Shorthorn Bulls of varying Blood Percentages, that have "Gringo" in all, or part of their name. There was Semiamahoo Gringo, PaDo Ole Gringo, the "gringo'' that Mid-Continent used, then, a few years ago, the Mantua's bunch raised a good, white, 3/4 bull that was sold in the first of their clubby-oriented sales & he was named "gringo''.

Kinda confusing, ain't it?

GB

shortyisqueen

Semiahmoo Gringo is the one that Mid-Continent used. He was purchased by a Saskatchewan club calf breeder and then sold to Mid-Continent after that.

justintime

Shortyisqueen is right again!  Semiahmoo Gringo is the Gringo bull that Mid Continent used. Gringo was actually purchased out of the stalls at Agribition as a calf by a young commercial family that live 4 miles from me. They displayed him at Denver and Mid Continent offered them a very healthy price for full possession and US semen rights. They kept the Canadian semen rights. Gringo bred very well and although he did not have an incredible amount of hair himself, his offspring were tremendously thick and tremendously hairy. I flushed a cow to him before  the TH test was available and was very lucky. We had 4 calves, all of which were TH free. We also sold the rest of the embryos from this flush to Oklahoma, again before we knew that Gringo was a carrier.
Gringo added thickness to every calf. He also added a great hip and rump structure along with lots of eye appeal. I have attached a picture of one of my Gringo daughters that sold for $5200 to Shadybrook Farms, West Brome, Quebec at $5200

Attachments

• HC Picture Perfect 5S-sm.jpg
    HC Picture Perfect 5S-sm.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 333

justintime

Original purchasers of Gringo at Agribition were Mike and Carla Fellner, Flying F Livestock, Weyburn, SK. Mike and Carla raise a lot of club calves and use mainly Maine, Shorthorn and Angus bulls along with several clubbie bulls by AI. They are using two sons of Gringo in their herd now. One is called Semiahmoo Pedro. I purchased Pedro, in partnership with Don Cagwin, Virginia, ILL  at $10,200 at Agribition three years ago. He was an excellent bull, but went into severe testicle degeneration after we bought  him. When I contacted the breeder, Gary Wood, Surrey, BC, he insisted that he would give us our money back. I was not looking for our money back at the time, but thought he should know what was happening. Mike Fellner heard about this, and asked if he could try to use Pedro, and Gary agreed he could try him. I did not think that he would work, as he had lost so much testicle size, however, he bred well. Fellners are still using him and are getting some good calves from him.

Latest posts