Grizzly

Help Support Steer Planet:

CBowlin

How does grizzly calve? I've heard that he has some very large calves and I've also heard he can throw some dinks? Also what kind of cows does he work best on?

wyatt

ive herd of people breeding him to heifers... hope that helps thats the extent of my knowledge on him  (lol)

Sparty-On

I probably won't be much help since I have only had one bred heifer calve to Grizzly.  She was a smaller framed Northern Improvement.  Calf came easy, about 78 lbs.  I am sure the Northern Improvement on his momma's side helped.  I have heard of some large calves coming out of Grizzly, and I can see how it might happen, especially with some of the boldness in the shoulder that he will throw.  I still think so much of it is how they are fed that last 3 months when that calf is growing the most.  Too many poeple pour the corn silage and/or grain mix to these cows & heifers and they just don't need it. 

SSIMMENTALS

We had two this year on simmy mamas that are usually high 70s low 80s and the calves were 95 and 102. Mamas were on low quality hay and short pasture before calving. So it's a knife for them, and they will not make steers. I think your assessment that he can throw some big ones at birth as well as some dinks is spot on. Ours seem to be fine on performance (out of big, growthy mamas), but I've seen plenty of little ones.

kfacres

do a search on here.. seems like the topic comes up about every other month or so... I've put my thoughts down several times.. I've saw the bull in person when he sold the first time through Guyer's sale.

CAB

He's clean & can/will calve tough. I would not reccomend him for heifer use. I have pulled all of them out of my heifers and have seen dead ones out of neighbors heifers, but there are others that say they get along fine.