Grooming horns?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

I decided to leave the horns on my heifer this summer due to fly season. My question is do you buff or polish them in any way before a show?

estspx

I used to show Brahman bulls that were horned.  Use a piece of broken glass and go the lenght of the horn.  It will really make them shine.

oakview

I think there have been posts on this subject in the past.  We used horn weights to pull them down.  Sandpaper was used to even them out and lacquer was sprayed on to make them shine show day.

kanshow

I started showing right when Dad & Grandpa were switching from Horned to Polled Herefords.  Seems like they used really super fine sandpaper and a light oil or laquer on them.

Dozer45

Okay thanks! I figured sandpaper was involved. We use to sand down our show horses hooves and then put shoe polish on em. Dont know if they make a clear shoe polish but that was kinda what I was thinking of trying.

COd

we used to sand them with fine paper then rub on some oil, it will make em shine.

blackcows

Dozer45 said:
Okay thanks! I figured sandpaper was involved. We use to sand down our show horses hooves and then put shoe polish on em. Dont know if they make a clear shoe polish but that was kinda what I was thinking of trying.

They make a clear hoof polish.

Dozer45

They make a clear hoof polish.
[/quote]

yeah I have used that on horses just dont know how much of a mess it would make