Grooming Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

bjs

I was reading the label on the Pink Oil can while using it earlier today and it said "great for show day", but I was wondering if anybody else uses it regularly to get the hair to pop....we use it for clipping and show day, but I decided to use it while blowing the calves out today.  Thanks for info and opinions in advance.

shortyjock89

We don't use it daily because it can weigh down hair and make it greasy, plus with some predominantly white cattle, it collects dirt like crazy.

forbes family farms

I would suggest not using as in everday basis. It will make the calves hair look greasy, it collects lots of dirt. In the end the hair will look bad on showday if you use it everday.

simtal

I don't care for it either, doesn't seem to do as good as job as final bloom. it smells bad too, IMO.

Cattledog

Well...I think it does a good job.  One thing to remember is that it isn't supposed to replace Final bloom.  Final bloom does put a nice shine to the hair but it also weighs the hair down.  Pink oil is just a lighter oil that doesn't weigh the hair down as bad.  It's kind of a catch 22...If you use Final bloom you will get a shinier hair coat at the expense of knocking the hair down and if you use Pink oil the hair stands better with a duller appearance.  So after that it is just personal preference.

TMJ Show Cattle

Basically everyone who posted is right. Use showsheen and mix it with absorbineJr. and forget all the rest for everyday use. You can use alcohol with water also. You don't need to patronize Sullivan's for every little thing. I use Sullivan products too,but some things can be used without their stamp.It works great and dosen't have to be washed out.

shortyjock89

Would you put absorbine jr. in for daily use?  I know that it can be a little harsh on the skin if used too much.  We mix it with sheen for use all week at shows, and for clipping calves out at home.  I just started using concentrated Laser Sheen and I think it's better than Kleen Sheen at like 1/3 the price.  I also use Vinegar mixed in for scalp and hair health. 

CCCattleco5

What does the absorbine jr do? I have been looking ways to cut cost and this sounds interesting.

shortyjock89

It chills the hide and pops the hair. Listerine will do it too. Be careful not to use too much, overuse can cause skin irritations.

bjs

does lectric shave do the same thing??? We use it at shows mixed with kleen sheen and some sort of rose oil

CCCattleco5

So it is not something i should use everyday?  I live in Georgia and something that would chill the hide sounds great for these summer days in the south.

shortyjock89

Yeah, it will "chill" the hide for the time being, but not for very long.  We don't use it daily, but I have heard of some people using it in their daily mix.

box6rranch

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
It chills the hide and pops the hair. Listerine will do it too. Be careful not to use too much, overuse can cause skin irritations.

We put 1/4 Green Listerine and 3/4 water in a fogger and use that. It seems to work well and definitely cools the hide down.

blackcows

Can't remeber the name of the herbicide but a friend of mine that is in his late 40's said that when he was younger they use to put a herbicide on the legs that would grow hair like you could not believe.

Mike

ROAD WARRIOR

blackcows said:
Can't remeber the name of the herbicide but a friend of mine that is in his late 40's said that when he was younger they use to put a herbicide on the legs that would grow hair like you could not believe.

Mike

Black leaf 40  - RW

blackcows

ROAD WARRIOR said:
blackcows said:

Mike

Black leaf 40  - RW

That's it.  I should have figured if anyone would know it would be you.  Did they quit making it or why did people quit using it.  My buddy said it worked very well.

Mike

bjs

blackcows said:

Mike

What makes the herbicide grow hair? Just curious...