ground corn stalks

Help Support Steer Planet:

yuppiecowboy

I am entertaining tub grinding corn stalks and feeding gluten with it as opposed to my historical use of hay. If I use the cornstalks and gluten routine and supplement with protein lick tubs, am I missing anything that is necessary for proper winter nutrition for my cows?

REM

Hi all.  I have never posted before, but thought I could be of some help here. First is it Gluten or Wet Distillers?  They are a little different.  The ground cornstocks are a good idea, they will work well with either product. The high moisture content of Gluten will make the stalks more palatable. I personally do not think you need a protein tub .The thing to watch with these by-products is the total sulfur content of the ration.  We also use a supplement with Gluten called a Gluten balancer( I believe it is for proper rumen pH) .  As always check with your local feed rep for proper rations.

TJ

REM said:
Hi all.  I have never posted before, but thought I could be of some help here. First is it Gluten or Wet Distillers?  They are a little different.  The ground cornstocks are a good idea, they will work well with either product. The high moisture content of Gluten will make the stalks more palatable. I personally do not think you need a protein tub .The thing to watch with these by-products is the total sulfur content of the ration.  We also use a supplement with Gluten called a Gluten balancer( I believe it is for proper rumen pH) .  As always check with your local feed rep for proper rations.
(welcome)

TJ

yuppiecowboy said:
I am entertaining tub grinding corn stalks and feeding gluten with it as opposed to my historical use of hay. If I use the cornstalks and gluten routine and supplement with protein lick tubs, am I missing anything that is necessary for proper winter nutrition for my cows?

Not saying it is the best nutrition program in the world, but my dad turns dry cows out on stalks, in the fall, with no supplemental anything except for mineral/salt & water.  As long as they aren't sucking a calf, his cows normally stay in pretty decent condition until it starts getting pretty cold when he starts to feed hay.  If they are mature dry cows, I think that you could easily get by with just the stalks & gluten or just the stalks & the tub.  One advantage of using a lick tub with the stalks, is that the molasses in the tub will increase saliva production, which supposedly helps the cows break down & better utilize the corn stalks.  Instead of gluten, you might also want to consider soy hulls.   

fluffer

Just thought I would through this out FYI....depending on your situation and location- soy hulls are also a good alternative.  In my area soy hulls are cheaper on a per ton basis than hay.  The only problem is the cows suck them down a lot quicker than hay.  We fed them to our cows this past winter and even with it being a drought year, our cows have never looked better.

red

When I sold molasses, we would recommend adding liquid molasses to the corn stalks. If you can get a product w/ some protein, it will not only help w/ palatability but also increase the nutritional value. some places sell it in buckets or drums for more economical buying.

Red

garybob

Lick Tubs will enhance digestion of any roughage. If I were gonna use them, I would pay a little extra for the ones with Magnesium, so that the cows will be ready for green grass, and will be less prone to Grass Tetany when Spring arrives.
If Tubs help with sorry, ol' rained-on Fungussy Fescue, they'll work like gangbusters with Corn Stalks.

Latest posts