Growing hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

mittenfarmer

I am in Michigan and I need to grow hair for my fair, I am going to start wetting him down for 20 ish minutes twice a day and combing him after then he gets put in a dark room with ac and fans that is cool but he has no hair. What should I do to get more hair? I only have 30 days.

Gargan

Be sure to dry him after you wet him. Genetics is a big part of having hair but you can get some results by rinsing, combing and drying twice a day. Did he have hair as a weaned calf?

Tallcool1

When you get one that is not blessed with a lot of hair, change your focus.

Do the things you are saying, rinse, cool room, all of that.

Focus on the quality of the hair you do have.  Make sure that it works well.  Yes, you would like 2" of hair, but 1/2" of really good working hair is way better than nothing.

My own opinion if I had one that has nothing to start with, brush him dry in front of fans in the cool room.  Yes it takes awhile, but there is nothing better for training hair.  Some say use a rice root brush, I am personally don't like that.  I prefer a plastic scrub brush, but use what you have.

mittenfarmer

Ok, thanks! I am working with the hair a lot and trying to get it to fluff up good, I did a cool down and rice brushed it most of the way and wanted to make him 100 percent dry so I blew him, thanks!

Jacob B

Starting 30 days out won’t get you to the end of a hair cycle. I would have started closer to 60-90 days out