Growing New Hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Okay, so I have this bull calf.  He is really good and we're going to show him alot, especially at bigger shows.  When we got him, he had all this dead hair.  Now, he has no dead hair, but his good, healthy hair is short.  The only place he has alot of hair is on his legs and belly.  I'm guessing the good leg hair is from me brushing the heck out of it every time he's rinsed and stuff.  I do the same on the body. Is there any way that I can promote hair growth all over his body, other than just cold weather and praying? Thanks!!

farmboy

WHEN YOU BRUSH HIM AND STUFF, YOU CAN BLOW IN SOME VEGGIE OIL . IT GIVES THE HAIR WEIGHT AND MANAGABILITY, JUST LIKE ONCE EVERY WEEK

red

Ugh, not sure on the lard Farmboy. Would do more harm that good in my opinion. Vegtable oil can be used in place of Final Bloom but not for every day. You don't want hair weighed down but want it to pop. (pop)
We use Revive on the calves. I really like the way it makes the hair pop. Also conditions it nicely. Use the rotobrush on his entire body once a week while he is damp. I've found that it really stimulated hair growth. Just keep away from the tail.
Keep a good mineral program & a balanced ration.

Red

DLD

I'm voting against the vegetable oil or lard, too. As Red said, it'll weigh the hair down, and heavy oils clog pores, which is not conducive to hair growth. Revive would be much better. We use only sheen for daily hare care, and Revive maybe a couple of times a week, if the hair needs some oil.

Just keep rinsing and brushing, keep him in the coolest, darkest place you can, and the hair'll come. Just takes time.

David

cowz

If you cant afford revive, try this:

Use 1/2 cup Mane and Tail or other hair conditioner in a 3 gallon bucket of cold water.  Mix well and pour over the calf's back and brush in with a wet rice root brush.  If you are really aggressive you can use a fogger and blow it in with your blower.

If you check out beauty supply stores you can buy a gallon of good quality hair conditioner for about $10.

I dont like the oil or lard idea either....just too heavy and doesnt let the skin and hair follicles breathe.

Jill

We mix it up a little.  Twice a week we use conditioner when we wash, we mix it in the EZ All sprayer and put in on that way.  When we let them out at night we use revive, a mixture of Kleen Sheen and Show Sheen, an ethnic hair spray you can buy at Wal-Mart (comes in a blue can I think it is like ISUS or IPUS), and pink oil, anyway we use something different each night before we turn them out we blow it into the hair.
I do know that you don't always get the really good hair back.  Alot of hair is genetics and sometimes the new hair that comes in just isn't ever the same as the really good baby hair.  Good Luck

shortyjock89

Thanks guys.  It's really kind of comforting to see that you guys do the same thing I do.  But, it's also a little unsettling that the hair just isn't there yet.  I'm not getting discouraged though.  When we rinse this guy (twice a day) he gets Kleen Sheen both times and then the second time, before we feed and turn them out for the night, he gets revive put on him too.  We go through Sheen and Revive so fast, my dad can barely keep it coming.  It's worth it though.  Last year we were growing hair on calves in the middle of summer by using that stuff and just putting them under fans.    I think i'll try the Roto Brush on this guy...I've never done it over one's whole body, but it sure can't hurt.  Oh and if you guys want to see if my efforts pay off, just come to the NAILE and look for me and Dooling1's stalls.  haha Thanks a bunch guys!

red

I like to use it on the entire body once a week. Just let the brush do the work. Don't put pressure or push on it. It really breaks up the hair & massages the scalp.
I'd forgo all the heavy oils & stuff. They just weigh down the hair. I'll use bacon grease just on small spots or ringworm areas just to grow back little patches of hair.
If we go to Louisville again this year, we'll be sure to look you guys up.

Red

shorthorns r us

i don't know the exact recipe.  some herf breeders near me use a mix of kleen sheen, homemade rag oil, and homemade mayo.  sounds strange but they have pretty good hair.  they say that gt straightens wave hair.

red

Phew! Don't know if I'd want to be around when the temp is up to 100 w/ that mixutre!

Red