Growing ration

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bone2011

Hey I need new ideas on mixing my own grower ration for heifers. I've got a very large supply of oats and corn at my place. I can get beet pulp along with some other ingredients. We have them on a Grand 4-tifer ration. What has work for you to keep heifers at this point, looking fresh, growing them, and adding just a little condition. The main shows we are going to with this group are from late July to mid-september. As of right now I am not worried about getting them fat just bigger. Thanks much.

shortyjock89

We feed 1/2 of the Umbarger's grower ration with 1/2 of what our own mix is. We feed 60/40 corn/oat, with a little protein added in, and we feed 3/4 of a scoop of dry beet pulp per head per feeding.

shortyjock89

GC said:
How many pounds are you feeding per calf?

Oh it depends on the calf of course, but my March heifer is getting 22lbs per day, we're going to be feeding her a bit more in the near future to get her geared up for summer though.

Bone2011

Ok thanks... for example I've got a April 25 heifer(star power x angus) and she weighs 870 as of yesterday( yeah i know, Shes big) but it seems I have the problem of pushing too hard and getting them too fat too quickly, and it seems like they don't get as big as alot of the ones that are winning and their fat cover looks stale and not fresh. Any thoughts?

shortyjock89

GC said:
Ok thanks... for example I've got a April 25 heifer(star power x angus) and she weighs 870 as of yesterday( yeah i know, Shes big) but it seems I have the problem of pushing too hard and getting them too fat too quickly, and it seems like they don't get as big as alot of the ones that are winning and their fat cover looks stale and not fresh. Any thoughts?

Keep the protein up. We'll feed one 70% oats and like 15% corn if they're gettin too fat real early on. Also, we'll feed a whole mess of wet beet pulp to em to keep them full.  As long as they've got good mineral and hay in front of them, they don't need a lot of grain to look good.