Guaranteeing Cattle to win really?????????

Help Support Steer Planet:

HarrisonFun1

Recently my son was talking to a guy about some show calves. And he was guaranteeing my child that he would win our state fair or be in the top end “FOR SURE” if he bought a calf from him. How can this guy really feel right about guaranteeing a kid that he will win or even be in the top end with there show animal? I have only seen pictures of the calves and I am not any kind of cattle judge but there is no way possible that these calves can do what he was promising me child. Is this some kind of sale tactic to take advantage of the kids? Is it only about the money with some of the guys?

taylor tay

Well it depends, all farmers know there stock better then buyers.  If you feel that he will win, buy him but ask the owner why he feels that way, but if you dont think that he is good, take some pictures and ask another person to see how he feels about him.

PaFFA Proud

Well if he has a lot of experience and has had past championships with his cattle and knows what the typical competition is for that show he could be right. Is he putting a gaurentee on the wins?

MotoMojo09

well who cares if he garentees them or not,    go look at them.
Then if u think theyre worth buying for whatevr he's selling them for then buy one.
If he's pricing them under prolly 4k then theyre prolly not good enough to win a state imo.
At my state fair this year the winner paid like 46k for there steer and reserve was about the same.

HarrisonFun1

That is just it they are pried from $1000 to $2000. You figure if they where that good he would want more money for them.

PaFFA Proud

You could always try this year and see how it goes...but personally I would like someone with at least a few years experience selling off show cattle especially at the state level

HarrisonFun1

It is a big no for me to buy anything from them. I was just upset that they would guarantee a win like that to a 15 year old. I was just asking if it is possable to guarantee a for sure win 12 months down the road.

cowsrcuddly

Price is no guarantee of a win.
Price is only what the person wants for their animal.

Didn't you read Brad Hook's post, that the Champion steer at the Royal this year was a $2,200 steer to start with? 

We sell our cattle for what we think they are worth to us.  My $3,000 heifer at home sold for $10,000 in the Divas and Donors sale.

It's just a price tag.  Don't discount an animal on it's sales tag. <party>

As far as a guarantee, what did they say you would get if it doesn't perform as suggested?

forcheyhawk

I'm sure there are some that could guarantee a win or two and probably not be too far off in doing so.  To me, it sounds more like the guy you are dealing with is desperate to move a few calves.  He won't be in business long if he's making guarantees and can't back them up.  It's really unfortunate that someone that deals with young people would do that.  If it were me, I would try to keep tabs on the steer to show your young man how the steer finished up.   ;D  Makes for a good teaching opportunity.

kk

Or maybe he's a young guy startin out in a saturated market and its late in the buying season and he's trying to get them moved to build a customer base

PaFFA Proud

Oook if he sells a few cattle with this selling gimic and everyone goes to the same show...then what? Not all of them are gonig to be winners..yes genetics takes a major role but so does daily care and feeding. I seen some good calves ruined by bad daily care

forcheyhawk

stunner said:
Or maybe he's a young guy startin out in a saturated market and its late in the buying season and he's trying to get them moved to build a customer base

That explains price, but IMO that doesn't make it OK to make guarantees to a kid.  That's used car sales tactics there.

kk

No that's not good tactics and is not the way anyone should operate if they want return customers my point was don't discount cheap calves without seeing them

JWW

guaranteeing that you buy this calf and it will be in the top 4 at state fair.. most people want to know how can someone say that? uh yeah he/she is probably judging the state far...  (lol)

JWW

SFASUshowman

I am currently selling more show pigs because of my job than I am show calves, but one thing I always tell people, especially those families that are new to showing, is that we cant guarantee anything.  I even keep this in mind when I am helping new showmen that I didnt sell cattle or hogs to that are just asking for an opinion or advice.
Most all the county shows around here have premium sales and to get in the sale you have to place in the top end of your class.  When we price our show prospects, whether they be pigs, lambs, goats, or calves.  We price them based on what we think their quality as a prospect is.  And people who are return buyers to us for a couple years get to where they can tell what kind of animal we are going to be showing them based on the price tag.  But a questions we always get are "Is this one gonna win?" or "Well I just want it to make the premium sale" My response, and what I instruct my staff to respond is always,"Well we cant make any guarantees, because this early inthe game we never know how they are gonna turn out, when or how often they may go off feed and not grow right, or simply who else produced something better this year, but our animals are priced based on our belief in what we think they are capable of.  A high end price, while we cant guarantee it, is something that we at least think has a good shot at winning a class if not a division, but I am not promising it. Midline prices are priced that way because animals of that quality that we have sold in the past have consistantly been in the top percentage and made the sale, but we still cant promise it.  Lower end prices are decent animals that wont be an embarasment to show, but things would all have to work out pretty well for it to get to the sale, however Iwont say it doesnt have a chance. And if something is priced incrediblylow or at a feeder price its because we simply dont think its show quality!"

I will never guarantee anything other than the animal being sound and healthy when it leaves my farm the day they par for it.  I also dont hesitate to point out possible flaws in animals .  I talk the good things but also point out where the animals need improvement.  I dont want a young showman thinking I am selling it the next major champion and then getting dissappointed when a judge somewhere points out its flaws.  I also firmly believe that in the Jr.s the main goal is to educate these young people and teach them how to evaluate animals, we dont do this by simply pointing out the good points and igonoring the bad, They have to learn to see the flaws as well.
I would personally never buy from someone who guaranteed a young person to win, though if your showing to the right judges the win can sometimes be guaranteed simply by who you bought the animal from, but its a moral issue to me.  We are supposed to be educating these young showmen and we arent doing it by misleading them.

Bradenh

we bought a calf at a famous sale in tx. out of monopoly to go to fortworth that was truly one of the best. guarenteed to win his class and stand in the division hands down. lets just summurize it and say that. . . . . . well i Guarentee he is at a feed lot right now via the salebarn because the calf was so juiced up at the sale on watever you call it. and he got home and looked good and started slowly getting poor and cripple. . . . and it got so bad we had to write him off. never  listen to those guarentees from people who are often looking to shaft you out of some money. listen to honest people who say they cant guarentee anything