gusse what it is

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

gusse what it is

show_equitment_0052.jpg

Cowboy

What is left after the last PETA member visited a COWBOY -- ??????? hehehe

Couldn't resist -- just came in from breeding a cow (Donor) and it is still 93 degrees, so I am feeling a bit testy!

Or possibly where BUSH stood during his last speech ???  A Claymore Mine test?? ah well, it's late!

Terry

red

my cows running at full charge for tomatoes!

Cowboy, you are so bad!!!

Red

NHR

Looks like its so hot out that the clouds are to weak to be in the sky. Must be in Texas!

pigguy

aj said:
It looks like anhydrous ammonia spewing out of something. Very dangerous.
yes you are correct. we were fretlizing for wheat. and the pen on tank popped out some how and the saftey chains on the tank broke off becuase of some who welded them on didnt know how to weld. and then our saftey release hose didnt release.(probally because it said to replace before 2007). and the the hose broke off at the sweeps so it was still atached to the tank(which was brand new). so beyond the big cloud it was amking some pretty cool whipping sounds.
show_equitment_0012.jpg

show_equitment_0021.jpg

show_equitment_0082.jpg

knabe

this was started with the haber process to harvest the nitrogen out of the air.  the only other large scale process that does this is nitrogen fixation by legumes (actually bacteria in legume nodules), bacteria etc.  first used as munitions by the germans, it later allowed the world to adopt corn as a feedstuff. 

anhydrous means without (an) water (hyd )is converted to NH4+ in the soil, and since it is positively charged, it binds to the soil if there is enough clay in it.  it is typically not applied to soils high in sand or pH as it is lost to the atmosphere.

one of the best investments i ever made in college was a latin root word dictionary.  it helped me memorize definitions of words since essentially each syllable had a definition.

aj

Excellent photos, the an part of anhydrous(without water is dangerous). It will draw to skin or anything wet. Since your eyes  are almost all water the nh3 will be drawn to your eyes and blind you forever. Please wear goggles around this stuff. The skin burned off is bad enough but loosing your sight is the worst danger I think.

Jill

The farmer down the road had that happen, the hose blew off and he lost sight in one eye, it is very dangerous stuff!

justintime

A few years ago, a farmer near where I live was putting down anhydrous and he was getting drowsy so he decided to stop and have a quick snooze. Unfortunately, he forgot to shut off the anhydrous and when he woke up, his cultivator was completely frozen into the ground and he had to wait several hours before he could get it out. It was a very costly mistake and even though it was over 10 years agom nothing has grown on that spoy since. It is close to the road so it is a reminder everytime we drive past this spot. You are right.... anhydrous is nothing to play with. There have been several people seriously burned and even some deaths caused by accidents involving anhydrous.

afhm

Have any of you had your anhydrous stolen when the tanks are in the field.  Some people I was helping a few years ago had a couple of trailers drained into gas cans (they left the hose and a couple of unused cans when they left), I later found out the thieves were using it to make meth or something like that.

red

Wow, we just using 82% this year. It scares me to death.

They are putting something in the tanks that makes the meth unusuable. This proving to be very helpful.

Red

cowz

aj said:
Excellent photos, the an part of anhydrous(without water is dangerous). It will draw to skin or anything wet. Since your eyes  are almost all water the nh3 will be drawn to your eyes and blind you forever. Please wear goggles around this stuff. The skin burned off is bad enough but loosing your sight is the worst danger I think.

Because your mucous membranes, nose, mouth and airway is also moist, the body cannot tolerate anhydrous.  It basically liquifies your lungs.  Scary.

cowz

Recently, they caught some "meth heads" here with an old travel trailer with the end cut out and reattached with hinges.  They had built a ramp and rolled a small anhydrous buggy inside.  They were the local traveling gas dealer to meth labs.

Here is what a meth lab (usually a trailer house) looks like when she blows up!

Attachments

• meth trailer.jpg
    meth trailer.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 162

aj

I was one of those rednecks that started driving a pickup at the age 5 and a tractor at age 10. I was using nh3 at the age of 12 when the pin broke on the tank and ripped the hose in two. I had enough wind wind that I snuck in up wind and shut the valve off. Dad came up and scolded me. He told me it was better to waste a tank of anhydrous then to take chances. Nh3 is flammable but it won't blow up. I won't go close without googles and a long sleeve shirt anymore. Furidan products are another product that affects the nervous system that is a killer unless you have the fear of god in it. (dog)

Latest posts