hair dye

Help Support Steer Planet:

kane1598

What is the best kind to use to turn brown tinted  hair black?  Are sullivans dyes good?  I was told to use revlon, but what is your favorite?

garett

I just went to the local Farm and Home, they sell show supplies, and bought a couple of boxes of Young Color, I used 2 boxes, but if they have a lot of brown I would pick up 4 and use 2 on each side

Mix it in a fogger then fill the rest with Kleen Sheen--Stir it up well--Fog it on then comb in and let set for about an hour, rinse out until the water runs clear

Bawndoh

We used human hair dye on a birthmark on an RA heifer back in November.  It is still in there cause the birthmark (grey colored hair) isnt showing yet!!  I would suppose its a cheaper alternative if you only have a small area to do.

Dusty

You're walking on a slippery slope here.  Dying cattle is probably considered cheating by some people on this board.  You're opening yourself up to the barrage.  I hope you got a helmet.

Bawndoh

Well it wouldnt be cheating according to you.  Who are you implying your post to anyways? 

common sense

Sullivan's have two types of dye. I can''t remember the name of their new one but I prefer the Young Color that they have.  The new dye is MUCH easier to apply and use but I have had severall issues with it burning the skin and I am talking IMMEDIATELY.  Actually blistered one of my good heifers.  I do like to add a little clean sheen but never more than half and half.  Let the dye sit on the calf for at least 30 minutes to 45 minutes but don't leave it too long as it will burn them.  After you apply take time to really comb it through. 

Well, I won't  wear a helmet in this situation but in my book if you are not changing the natural color pattern of the calf then it is not illegal.  Some shows however will specifically state their rules about dying livestock.  Most of them say that as long as you are not changing the origanal color it's allowed.  Personally I hate dying one.  I prefer to get the brown dead hair out  with work and lots of grill bricks but sometimes you just have to get them black...or whatever their natural color might be.  I have one heifer that is black but the tips of her hair are scarlet red.  It's not dead hair, just her color pattern.  Personally I would not die that.  It is gorgeous and makes her almost glow. 

Dusty

I'm just warning everyone.  Dying a calf at all, if only to make them blacker could be called cheating...  If the original color is black with a brownish tint, you're altering color.
Personally I dye all the black ones black, whether they got a brown or red tint or not, it makes em look more black you could say.

Dusty

Oh and don't ever attempt to dye a white one black, yeah...train wreck.  Don't do it.

common sense

Dusty said:
I'm just warning everyone.  Dying a calf at all, if only to make them blacker could be called cheating...  If the original color is black with a brownish tint, you're altering color.
Personally I dye all the black ones black, whether they got a brown or red tint or not, it makes em look more black you could say.

Dusty I humbly disagree with you.  (No need for a helmet) If you were to register a calf you don't register them as "black with a brownish tint".  You register them as black because their hide and root hair color is black.  If they are bleached out from the sun or you have dead hair the calf is still black.  You are not changing the original color. 

chambero

We used the Young Color II for years and Sullivan's lately.  You can get Young Color II cheaper at a Sally's Beauty Supply by the case.

Haven't had any problems with Sullivans, but really have only use it a couple of times.

I've gone through more Young Color II than most beauticians for the past 20 years and never had a problem with it.  My wife still doesn't trust me to use it on her though even though her black hair is getting a little grey in it.  Since I'm often the blame of those grey hairs I don't understand why she won't let me fix it for her.  

She also won't let me give our boys haircuts even though the lady that does uses much cheaper clippers than the ones we have. Go figure.

Dusty

I said could be called cheating.  To me it's not cheating, it's just a part of the fitting process.

Jill

We use the new Sullivans Black Velvet, love it, I couldn't ever get the little packet open and poured in for the Young Color without spilling them.  We dye the week before all big shows, makes the cattle look better and the hair work better.  We put it is straight, don't mix with Kleen Sheen, it seems to take better.  Put it in the fogger and spray calf, work into hair and let set for proper time then rinse out and condition.  Make sure you wear gloves and old clothes, you don't see the stain till it is too late and it will not come out.  If you are dying any white, use Young Color 1st and follow with Black Velvet, it doesn't do as good of a job of covering the white.  Good Luck

knabe

chambero said:
Since I'm often the blame of those grey hairs I don't understand why she won't let me fix it for her. 

a good woman is not about to give up an advantage too easily.

Dusty

Saw a kid attempt to make a black and white calf black.  Yeah it would take a lot of dye, I don't think it can be done.

Dusty

SRU said:
you can turn a white one black enough to win denver.
Well congratulations to whoever pulled that one off.......That would take some skills...

kimbaljd

Dusty said:
You're walking on a slippery slope here.  Dying cattle is probably considered cheating by some people on this board.  You're opening yourself up to the barrage.  I hope you got a helmet.

Be careful, that will probably cost you a Karma point!