Hair growth and grooming

Help Support Steer Planet:

Corriedalesrock

I have been wondering what you guys do to promote hair growth. I use a rice root brush for grooming and on warm days I rinse then down.. Do you guys do anything different.??Thanks! <beer>

steerkid21

At our house, we rinse, brush/comb, kleen sheen, and blow them out every morning then put them in the cooler.  At night, we rinse them out, spray with keen sheen, and turn them outside to water while they are wet.  There are many different remedies out there! Pick your poison!

AAOK

Corriedalesrock said:
Thanks, I haven't ever tried Kleen Sheen before but I think I will give it a shot. ;D

Good Stuff!  A little tip: Cut your Kleen Sheen 1/2 with vinegar, and add one tube of Super Hold Hair Gel to each gallon. Mix well & fill your spray bottles.

PinkOil Princess

It varies from person to person but I rinse my steers in the morning, comb them out, blow them out and spray in a mix of ProCharge, ProPolish, (products by Weaver) and vinegar, and lock them in a barn with fans all day then rinse again at night, blow, comb and then lock them OUT of the barn at night. The more you comb them the more it stimulates the hair to grow kinda like when people run their fingers through your hair and you get that stimulating tingle...same concept. I also feed my cattle "2cool" by Showrite which contains tasco, a natural ingredient used to lower internal body temperature. There are many other feed supplements to help grow and maintain hair on ur calf. Check out the Sullivan supply website for more supplements and daily hair care products. I hope this helps

New Showman

I have several questions: What kind of brush(s) is best to promote hair growth? Where do you find a blower and kleen sheen and How do you use the kleen sheen? What does mixing it with vinegar do?
Thanks

PinkOil Princess

I prefer to use combs as opposed to brushes and you can normally find them at feedstores or Sullivansupply.com is where you can order blowers combs and all those conditioning products like kleen sheen. I don't use kleen sheen very often but I hear it works well. You can spray any conditioner over the body of your calf and use a blower to blow it into the hair then use ur comb. I use vinegar especially for my black calf who often get dandruff it just helps to keep his skin from flaking. Kleen sheen works great for training hair as you always want to comb the hair forward toward the head of the calf and up at a 45 degree angle.
I strongly suggest looking through the Sullivan Supply products and reading what each product helps to accomplish this actually helps you learn alot about the products out there and what you feel you might need to improve the quality of your calf and your calfs hair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 154

AAOK

A strong arm and a Rice Root Brush will stimulate the hair folicules 10X what you will get from any comb on the market! Rinse twice a day, and try to wear out your Rice Root Brush.  Always brush the hair forward  and up at a 45 degree angle.

DLD

AAOK said:
A strong arm and a Rice Root Brush will stimulate the hair folicules 10X what you will get from any comb on the market! Rinse twice a day, and try to wear out your Rice Root Brush.  Always brush the hair forward  and up at a 45 degree angle.

2nd what Dan said.

New Showman

AAOK said:

Where do you get a rice root brush?

Corriedalesrock

Wow, thanks for the help we also wash the calves then but some barbasol shaving cream in their hair then but them in a fairly large pen then the next day we brush them out,rinse them, then put more shaving cream in, after about a week you can feel the fair already thicker and more beautifuller. Haha

AAOK

Shaving Cream must be washed out within 3-4 hours after use. Leaving it in over night and through the day will burn the skin and cause hair to fall out rapidly.  Most application of shave cream is use to dress at Blow and Go shows.

Corriedalesrock

when we use shaving cream it has never caused the hair to fall out. sometimes it was in for 3-4 hours and sometimes10-12..... Other people use shaving cream as well and it doesnt cause hair to fall out... maybe the temperature, thickness of hair, amount used, how it is applied, and other grooming products used could be big factors in the outcome.

Corriedalesrock

the rice root bush looks like it has thick bristles, we use the ones that have to softest, finest  bristles..the blue and red pig brush might work pretty good! (lol)

DLD

Corriedalesrock said:
the rice root bush looks like it has thick bristles, we use the ones that have to softest, finest  bristles..the blue and red pig brush might work pretty good! (lol)

That's the point - you need to stimulate the hair and hide to make hair grow.  Soft bristles won't stimulate as much, nor train hair as well as a rice root.

DLD

Yes, thats why you want a rice root.  They don't come in different variations, at least not that I know of - a rice root brush is a rice root brush.  Soak it overnight in a bucket of water before you start using it, and it will soften up slightly (mostly just makes it less brittle), unless of course it's presoaked... lol.  Cattle hide is much thicker than ours - it doesn't irritate them.  In fact, they seem to enjoy it.