Hair growth in specif areas

Help Support Steer Planet:

Richland Farms

Is there anything out there for growing hair in specific target areas such as flank and stifle? Any input would be greatly appreciated, even open to home remedies.

OH Breeder

feed grass said:
t-w-i-n-e... short for growing hair in certain spots.

Most shows that (twine)  will get you D-i-s-q-u-a-l-i-f-i-e-d.

One of the guys here locally believes in chilling them with water on stomach when rising. I will tell you what ever he is doing works. They rinse twice a day and have an A/C unit for summer months.

rtmcc

It's callef a brush! But it's only effective if you use them, alot, until their eirn out.

mainecattlemother

I agree with rtmcc but if you plan to use twine or similiar products I would certainly check with the rules particularily in 4-H divisions as I know you cannot use artifical colors above the flank area.  We have a Simmi steer that is just a little high in the flank but is getting better.  We have not used any artificial hair in the past but have thought about it for this show season and may try.  If you do use artificial hair make sure you know how to use it as I have seen people use it in the past and it looked absolutely horrible because they did not know how to use it properly. 

Mueller Show Cattle

One of the guys here locally believes in chilling them with water on stomach when rising. I will tell you what ever he is doing works. They rinse twice a day and have an A/C unit for summer months.
[/quote]

I have never tried Twine as it is illegal in our show and most National shows if not all. But my question is, OH Breeder can you elaborate on how to chill them with water on their stomach when rising? I think I get what you mean by chilling them with water but don't understand what you mean by the rising. Stomach and flank hair has always been the hardest to grow for myself and most I would think. I wash and blow with combing twice a day to help getting the hair to grow better and we use an A/C unit in the summer. But if I can learn to chill their stomach and flank area, that would help me. I have seen some people's steers have such good stomach hair in National shows that you don't even see a shank. So if you could elaborate on how to preform this please, I would appreciate it. I have thought about trying to wet down their stomach and flank area more and have a fan blow directly on that area. You stop learning when you stop asking questions or researching. Thanks