HAIR HELP

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

We show registered Herefords so wavy hair is nothing new to us but this years bull calf is like a POODLE! We use olive oil (ethnic hair products) on our others and it usually does the trick but Im at loss with this guy. Any ideas out there?

Attachments

• 303266_2413554172820_1070254580_2675973_582657384_n.jpg
    303266_2413554172820_1070254580_2675973_582657384_n.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 297

wyatt

spray the whole calf with shaving cream or revive and comb it straight down when you get it to lay down comb it forward ... p.s. that picture has an amazing background!

willow

I have no idea how to help you.  Just wanted to say nice picture of Mt. Garfield!

Dozer45

Lindsey- We do use mave tamer on the other cattle for really kinky spots but we would be going through cases of the stuff with this guy  O0

Rochholz- looks like come cool stuff!

Willow- you from the area?

willow

Yes Dozer45 we are just at the other end of the Valley.  We have kids just starting out in 4-h, but we have had our cattle for about 7 years now.  We AI every year and our main focus is raising functional, sound, show calves.  Well I say WE AI every year, but we have someone who does it for us.  I just took the AI class and will be doing it myself this next spring (our poor cows) :).
This will be the first year our son has taken one of our steers to the county fair.  He has shown one of our heifers and a friend of ours steers, but never our own.  It will be exciting to see how it plays out.  We will have to talk it is fun to see someone in our area that seems to be as excited about this show cattle thing as I am.  Best of luck with your hair issue! 

Dozer45

Its always extra special when its one of your own in the ring! I was a beef leader last year for Intermountain so I probably saw you guys at fair, and you are right it is nice to see people in our area so into show cattle!

willow

I was/am the beef leader for High Desert.  I will have to keep an eye out for you guys at our jackpot shows and at fair.

Dozer45

For sure fair! I decided not to be a leader this year because of work and Im wanting to go back to school and just wont be able to dedicate my time.

cattlejunky5

We do the comb down then comb forward on our herefords. But we comb the hair down while they are wet, then spray with revive. Once the revive is on we comb that down then forward and then use the blower like no ones business!

ICF

brush down brush down brush down!!!!!!  it helps so much! the hair might blow out alittle flat but you can "pop" it once the hair is straight!!!! and yes olive oil will help  also!!!

BlazinA

We sold a steer this past year that was as bad or worse than your bull.  Totally understand your frustration since it is worse than "normal" Hereford Hair.  We were desperate just like you.

Here is something we tried in addition to the ideas already given.  This idea came from someone here on Steerplanet.  There is a conditioner for Ethnic hair called Cholesterol Conditioning that is cheap and really softens the hair.  It comes in different size containers but I bought an 8 oz jar at Walgreen's for around $3 and a big jar at a beauty supply store  for $15.00.  It takes a lot since you apply by hand in clumps and then rub in.  Wash/rinse first and then apply the conditioner by hand all over the body, rub it in with a rubber brush to make sure you have it in deep and all over.  How much you use depends on how heavy you put it on.    Let it "process" for 20 to 30 minutes or  as long as you can wait and then rinse.  It takes a long time to get all the conditioner out but it leaves the hair really soft.  Brush down, comb forward  and then blow till the calf is DRY.  We only did the cholesterol rinse a few times but we thought it helped a little.  I also think if you did it too much the hair would be too soft to do anything with. 

Another tip is on how you dry the calf.  This calf we tried blowing the hair straight up first until almost dry  and then forward.  I know when it is that curly there isn't a lot to do.

If time or weather permits I have heard of people shaving all the hair off and as it grows back work on keeping the curls down.  We didn't have time to do this on this steer. 
  Hope these ideas make sense and good luck.

Doublecreek Farms

We have found out that using shaving cream works the best for us. It really calmed our market heifers hair down last year! Good Luck!!!