Hair Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

showstick09

Since it's starting to get hot outside and I don't have another show until the end of September, what is your input on shaving off the old hair on a heifer? Will it grow back soon enough for the September show, and does it really come back better than before? I have never done this before and would like to know some opinions before I chopped all my heifer's hair off.  :eek: Thanks!

chambero

We shaved a very hairy Kadabra heifer last summer about this time and things worked out fine.  We were in the middle of building a new house and just didn't have time to mess with her (she was very slow in shedding and the dead hair did not look good at all by now).  We didn't take her out until September at the Texoma Fair and she was about the hairiest thing there.  In general, its probably better not to though.  You've probably got new hair underneath already anyway.  We are taking it off the old fashioned way this year with brush and grill bricks.

If you do it, just use the Texas blades for slick shearing steers.

DCC_Cattle

There is plenty of time between now and the show to get a good hair coat back, but I don't think I would take all of the hair off. What I have done before is put guards on the clippers and go over the whole body and leave the hair about 1/2  to 1/2 inch long, just so you have a little something there to start with. Hope this helps.

showgirl2010

DCC_Cattle said:
There is plenty of time between now and the show to get a good hair coat back, but I don't think I would take all of the hair off. What I have done before is put guards on the clippers and go over the whole body and leave the hair about 1/2  to 1/2 inch long, just so you have a little something there to start with. Hope this helps.

i agree.  it takes way to long for it to grow back if you take all of it off.  leave at least 1/2 to 3/4.

jamie

Latest posts