hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

big tylerr

my calves don't have any hair i wash them 2 times a day and they are in a 65 degree room when we bought them they had tons of hair what should i do

jallen

Brush them more and lower the tempeture make sure your leaving them a little wet and brush brush brush. Also dont use soap more than 2 a week that can give them dry skin and also if you brush them dry you are just pulling the hair out. Rinse them with ice cold water as well at least once a day and have them in before sun comes up and dont take them out tell sun down.

The Show

They've shed it all off. It happens and there's really nothing you can do about it but keep working and they'll start growing it back.

russfarm

Brush them more and lower the tempeture make sure your leaving them a little wet

That's something I've always been curious about.  After rinsing (we do it 3x a day), should you blow dry EVERY time?  We've heard conflicting answers from different people.  Some say it's necessary to blow totally dry every time.  Some say blow mostly dry every time. And we've heard on your last rinsing of the night, before you turn them out, to just brush them with a rice root brush and turn them out totally wet.
What's everyone opinion on drying???

farmboy

you can't turn your calf out wet unless its raining. Water stays on the body and acts as an insulator and traps body heat. I rinse and put in the cool room and brush all the hair forward with a rice brush and let the fans dry them. I've had the cooler going for about 3 weeks and I'm noticing new hair coming in.

BCCC

Rinse them and then brush them dry in front of fans, however you still need to use your blower occasionaly throughout the day to get the volume in the hair, and the blower helps train the hair too.

shortyjock89

Zach said:
listen to this man ^^^ he's the hair whore

PSH.  Karlton figured out what growing hair meant when he was with us at State Fair last year........my Abertees heifer was the definition of SHAG, and had only been fooled with for 3 months.

farmboy

speakin of SHAG, I should have some Epic here tomorrow if UPS gets off their arses. I'll report back on my hair growing experience

shortyjock89

And I'll be posting with my new Netbook tomorrow if UPS gets off their asses.  I'm getting some epic real soon too.  How many calves you got in the cooler right now?

BCCC

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Zach said:
listen to this man ^^^ he's the hair whore

PSH.  Karlton figured out what growing hair meant when he was with us at State Fair last year........my Abertees heifer was the definition of SHAG, and had only been fooled with for 3 months.
Pshhaww not no $hithorn gona be showing me nothing Justina. <beer>