HAIR !!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

lcc10

Okaye steerplant friends .. Need some help ... Advice on how to get my heifer to grow some new hair before the majors !!!! and to get rid of the dandruff .. Also she's a white shorthorn how in god name do I keep her white ? We were keeping her on shaving but pine shaving turns them yellow ? & what's a good way to put a little more weight one her ? She has a super pedigree, the best anyone could own . Whr genetics .. She's just still a little green

shortyjock89

There are lots of threads on here that can help you with your questions. But just really quick-

To grow hair - Rinse, brush, blow, keep under fans..all of these every day.

To get rid of dandruff- Dip her with conditioner every other day(put some in a bucket, and fill the vucket with water, then dump it on her), and add a few ounces of white vinegar to the conditioner.

Keeping her white- keep her pen very clean, rinse her every day, and use Bright Lights or your bluing shampoo of choice.

To get weight on her- It looks like you're in Texas, so there are a ton of pre-mixed feeds available to you that will do what you want.

mrs sawboss

We have had our fair share of white cattle and the best "shampoo" we have found to keep them white is any dishwashing soap that has "Oxy" power.  Dawn makes a good oxy dishwashing soap.  Of course, you can't let your calf lay in it's own poop and pee and expect it to stay white so keeping the pen clean, as mentioned above, is probably more important than any shampoo you can use.

lcc10

I keep her pen clean . She just always seems to get dirty . I use that kind of dawn soap . And I wash every other day and blow and what not every day . but we put her out in a catch pen so he can eat hay because we don't want it in our barn . I also have 11 heifers on feed . Lots of work for one person .

ploughshare

Forget the Dawn, very strong detergent.  At least use some Orvis instead.  The advice about the conditioner and vinegar is sound.  A peroxide rinse, oxyclean, will also help.  Not much can be done if you can't keep her out of the dirt.

Latest posts