Hall's Legacy Plus

Help Support Steer Planet:

sdf

Does any one have information on Hall's Legacy Plus?  We have nice heifer out of him and we would like to find out a little more about him.

OH Breeder

If I remember right, I think he was bred in Canada by Halls. JIT might know better. Hartman's, Glovers as well as several others were the Legacy Syndicate. Google him and it is interesting what you may find.

shorthorns r us

OH Breeder said:
If I remember right, I think he was bred in Canada by Halls. JIT might know better. Hartman's, Glovers as well as several others were the Legacy Syndicate. Google him and it is interesting what you may find.

very diplomatic answer

DL

SRU said:
OH Breeder said:

very diplomatic answer

Yeah! I woulda said
Apparently the bull died and didn't go to heaven - he went to another ranch where he continued to produce offspring and then he really died - there is a lawsuit pending. I don't know when he really died if he went to heaven - chances are that some of the people involved won't go to heaven
  ;)

sdf

DL said:
SRU said:
OH Breeder said:

very diplomatic answer

Yeah! I woulda said
Apparently the bull died and didn't go to heaven - he went to another ranch where he continued to produce offspring and then he really died - there is a lawsuit pending. I don't know when he really died if he went to heaven - chances are that some of the people involved won't go to heaven
  ;)

With all of that was he a good bull for females?

DL

Legacy Plus was (as someone stated) bred by Halls in Canada. He did very well in the show ring and was (I believe) National Champion (I could check the specifics if you really cared). He sired tons of show heifers that did very well in the show ring and was in the top 5 for show sire of the year a couple times -again this is all from memory - on the dams side the Pattern Plus females were really good cows. I was never a particular fan of the Polled Pursuit lines (paternal great grand sire of your calf) - they seemed to do well in the show ring but I didn't like them as cows, nor was I thrilled with their approach to life. I don't know how the females are as cows - - it seems that many of the high dollar well exposed show heifers go on to produce embryos sold for high dollars because they don't really make good cows. His sire Legacy was impressive as a mature bull...died young as I recall.

Maybe AAOK or telos or Jill have more info - I could scan a picture of him you you wanted.....

sdf

sdf said:
Does any one have information on Hall's Legacy Plus?  We have nice heifer out of him and we would like to find out a little more about him.
Thanks for the information we are new to Maine's we have been in Brangus and Angus since the early 90's.  The Maine breed seems to have as many players as the Angus.  Thank you for your help.

DL

Oh yeah, the full array  - the good the bad and the ugly! Here is the bull

Attachments

• HLP.jpg
    HLP.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 316

justme

Dead or alive, heaven or hell ( (lol)) I was and still am a fan of Legacy Plus.  Produced wonderful females in my opinion.  We had a Legacy Plus x Laiyla (circle F donor) and loved his females and steers.  Very complete animals and did well in the showring.  Our replacements out of him did wonderful.  Just my opinion...cann't judge a bull by his owners lol or the messes they create.

DL

sdf said:
Thanks DL, I'll put you down as "The Good" .

thanks sdf - it is not a universally held opinion! ;)

thanks justme for chiming in about the females - glad to know you think he makes good females, I am sure sdf is too - didn't really see anybody judging the bull by his owners or the mess they created - but then again some people take everything way too serious - I always appreciate a modicum of levity or a titch of silliness - and as of today I believe that the bull is REALLY dead this time  ;) have a great day

Joe Boy

I think he was bull of the year 3 years in a row.... maybe more and the next year he was runner up.  That should tell you something about the bull.  I think his decendents get better with age.  At three they are even better looking than at a year and they work well, IMHO.

DL, glad you are having fun..... I like it... have missed the 3 amigos..... life it too short not to have fun.... I loved every second that I got to spend with my granddaughters this week...... I tease them all the time, hugged them lots, took them to pet a new set of twins, and rocked one to sleep..... 

I don't think it would be fun owning Legacy Plus inside the court room but bet it was taking the money to the bank from the semen sells..... 

He died rose and died again, but in the mean-time he sired some great cattle....  I have a bull from his daughter by Witch Doctor.... great looking bull and his heifers get better with age....

sdf

Thank you for your response.  We were told the heifer would be better as a bred yearling than as calf.  Her dam is A DF Midas Daughter out of LLND CICELY ET.  We told the Cicely cow was very popular show and bull producing cow in the 90's.  The owner said the Midas bull was a very good maternal sire.  Any information is welcome.  Like I said we are new to Maines after years in Angus and Brangus.

Thanks

SDF |

DL

sdf - Midas is my all time favorite Maine bull for maternal females - I love the bull and I really love his females (not to say I don't really favor FR Magic and Smithbilt  ;)) - I have a picture of Magic - - I'll dig up - he is an older bull 1984 if I recall and long lived

Cicely is out of Ashley who was the dam of The Witch Doctor - one of the most popular Maine Anjou bulls ever - known for calving ease but also one of the few "bovine triathletes" - was able to create great females and bulls, but also pretty darn good show calves (heifers and steers). Linds (LLND) of Colorado produced some very impressive cattle that are still useful and functional today. I have found the WItch Doctor females to be very maternal and excellent cows, and I have used several of his sons (WD40, Cigar) with similar results.

Sounds like you got yourself a pretty nice heifer - if you PM me her reg # I can see if I can tease out any other tidbits! ;)

sdf

DL said:
sdf - Midas is my all time favorite Maine bull for maternal females - I love the bull and I really love his females (not to say I don't really favor FR Magic and Smithbilt  ;)) - I have a picture of Magic - - I'll dig up - he is an older bull 1984 if I recall and long lived

Cicely is out of Ashley who was the dam of The Witch Doctor - one of the most popular Maine Anjou bulls ever - known for calving ease but also one of the few "bovine triathletes" - was able to create great females and bulls, but also pretty darn good show calves (heifers and steers). Linds (LLND) of Colorado produced some very impressive cattle that are still useful and functional today. I have found the WItch Doctor females to be very maternal and excellent cows, and I have used several of his sons (WD40, Cigar) with similar results.

Sounds like you got yourself a pretty nice heifer - if you PM me her reg # I can see if I can tease out any other tidbits! ;)

DL I will send you the reg. number as soon as I receive the papers.  Her papers are still pending but I talked to the breeder earlier and he said the ty should be here in the next week or so.  Thanks for all of you information and Thanks to every one for their replies.  I will also post a pic as soon as the weather clears a little we are having cold rain down here in North Texas.

AAOK

I saw my name dropped, but I think DL and others have pretty much summed up what can be said about Legacy Plus.  He was a great Show Bull, and has sired some tremendously good females.

I will add a little about the Dam of your heifer.  The Summer of 1997 I had the good fortune of getting to spend a day with Larry Lind walking through his truly great herd of Maine-Anjou cows.  At the end of the day, I had a much better appreciation for my own herd and also a real understanding of Phenotype vs. Genotype.  The LLND label has always been truly a quality seal.

Being a breeder of Show Heifers, I've never been a big fan of DF Midas.  His females were all too round in the hip for me.  Many didn't seem to have enough guts.  They just weren't geared for the Show Ring.  All I ever knew of turned out to be great cows.

AAOK

maine12 said:
semen?? how much? were? if availible

I have 4 straws of Halls Legacy Plus in the Tank I still have FOR SALE.    http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php/topic,1885.0.html
Also, some Meyer 734, FR Magic, Rambo, Draft Pick, IcePick, Ali, etc.