halter breaking

Help Support Steer Planet:

brs5

I have a steer who is taking a while to break. Hes not wild or anything, he just likes to walk where he wants and throw his head around. The steer is weighing 500 pounds so i can still drag him around for the most part.What is the best way to break this calf?

Dozer45

What ever you do dont let him walk off where ever he pleases, that will only get worse as he gets bigger.

cattlejunky5

Ditto! and NEVER let go of the rope! It shows him that he won the fight! When we have a stuborn one we always make him rethink his choices by tying him for a while. After that what i will do, is take him out and i will pull on the halter and when he steps forward i give him some slack so that he realizes that "Oh if i walk there is no pulling?" After doing this for a while, they usualy get the idea! And just be patient, I think sometimes they just have there little fits that soon go away! I Hope this helps!

box6rranch

When ours do this we turn them in a tight circle and make the slow down and walk beside us. Just keep turning him and he'll get the idea that every time he tries it you'll make him turn around and start over.

justme

good luck!  Now that I hit the big "4-0"  I find that I'm feeling my age lol.  I have 6 to break and man they are getting the best of me lol

Latest posts