Halter Breaking

Help Support Steer Planet:

pjkjr4

First-time poster here. I have a yearling heifer that I am trying to get broke. When we first got her, she was a complete renegade. After several hours of attention, I have finally got her calmed down to where I can at least touch her, rub on her, a little and get a halter on her. If I tie her up to the top rail pretty short for an extended period of time (most of the day), I can lead her to water and/or feed. The rest of the time, I tug, and tug, and tug to no avail. If my wife walks behind her, she is more concerned with trying to side-step to see where she is, and what she is doing. Should I just give up on trying to do it myself, and try to find a donkey, or just keep after it. By the way, this heifer will be for my 10 year old daughter to show, so I need her to be pretty calm. If the donkey thing seems like the thing to do, could y'all let me know where I could find one reasonable in location/price. I live in the Enid, OK area.

By the way, my daughter just got back from "Be a Champ" show camp last week, and is really pumped up about going back next year.

Thanks

red

Actually I have the same problem w/ a heifer. It must be the genetics because the dam's last 3 heifers have been very stubborn. I just keep working w/ them. Use a steady pressure to get them moving. Don't yank or stop & start too much. Keep her tied up as much as possible. A little handful of grain is a good reward too.
Best of luck & by the way congrats to you daughter!

(welcome) pjkr4!

knabe

pjkjr4 said:
If my wife walks behind her, she is more concerned with trying to side-step to see where she is, and what she is doing.

figuring this out will be the most important thing you do.  it's ENTIRELY desirable.  she's worried, let her get over it at her pace, that way she will trust you.  just imagine not taking care of this by covering it up and then having the judge walk behind your animal and then they move.  to me, it's not even remotely necessary that a judge twist ALL the animal's tails to be "fair" to see who is going to move and who can get set up fast.  it's not necessary and kind of annoying to see everyone have to do this when it's pretty obvious what some placings should be.  perhaps it got started as a way to do the obvious, diffuse criticism from everyone.

try having your wife come up from behind and scratch that little spot between the tailhead and the parts.  if she moves, she doesn't get scratched.  this is an example where less is a LOT more.  it shouldn't be too much trouble for her to actually STICK her feet in the ground EXPECTING to get scratched for standing still instead of scratching her before she stands still.  for a heifer to be calm, one must be calm.  emulate what you want her to do.  don't stare at her either, this is a predator tactic, especially at the eyes.  i also do something some people have told me is a bad thing, is to let them sniff me.  on my place, all the cows sniff and lick, even the one i can't touch.  this can get you in trouble in that they can generalize a smell and associate it with something bad that happened, an associative training of sorts.

mostly i just ignore what i dont want and over reward the good stuff.

Bawndoh

Pull her to the side so that she has to walk in circles.  This way YOU have much more strength than her.  If you pull her forward, she is bracing 1000+ pounds against you (100-200lbs).  This always works.  Reward her by releasing the halter pressure and/or by scratching her whenever she takes even just ONE step to the side you are pulling. 

inthebarnagain

When leading her use a halter with a ring in it.  That way the pulling and release can actually be felt by the calf better.  With a regular halter, the chin won't loosen when you let up so she feels the same pressure.  I have had calves broke in two days time without ever tying them up using a halter like this. 

Whatever you do don't let her wear the halter and drag it.  Then she teaches herself to stop when she feels pressure instead of walking. 

Bawndoh

pjkjr4 said:
So, I take it you guys aren't big fans of the donkey thing?

I am not.  If you are lazy, and have the time to deal with cattle who will STILL have attitude problems, then its ok for you.  Ha Ha.  Cattle are not stupid, and they know the difference between being tied to a 500 pound donkey, and having their halter in the hands of a 60 pound child.  I would never use a donkey.  I dont care how much time people thinks it saves being the donkey does all the "work" for them.  Sorry to sound like a w-i-t-c-h.  I have just seen many cattle who were "broke" with a donkey and all I see is a stressed out calf with droopy ears and a fat chin.

Turkey Creek Ranch

There was an episode of the Cattle Show on RFD one time that showed one method of breaking calves. It involved a medium sized pen, and a couple lead ropes. Basically, the main idea was the tie the ropes together, and stand in the center of the pen. Let the calf run around in circles. As the calf progresses, use less and less rope, and eventually you are supposed to be able to hold the calf close to it like you were showing it. We tried it, and it worked very well. We still use chain halters, and tie the rope to a fence or blocking shut, and let them out of the shute. They pull and pull on that rope, and they eventually learn that if they dont pull, that chain doesnt get tight. Another way we use is to just get an old crappy lead rope, and let the calves drag it around the lot for a week or two. They learn that when that chain gets tight to stop. We have used a donkey once or twice on a partially broken calf. We used it on a calf that was the stubborn type and didnt want to lead (locked the legs etc.). We hooked him to a donkey with a 5ft or so chain, and let those two spend some together time for a day or two. By the end of the first day, that calf would lead great. He got used to when that chain got tight, if he didnt go, he got kicked. Have to be careful with the donkey's though. If you leave them hooked on too long, you will just have a beat up calf, but if used correctly, they are very effective.

We use a combination of ALL these ideas and techniques to break our calves, and it works very well for us.

Good Luck!

BCCC

pjkjr4 said:
So, I take it you guys aren't big fans of the donkey thing?
if you can get ahole of a donkey GO FOR IT.... Take 18 inches of chain and hook them together with horse halters. Leave them together for about a week and she shoul dbe broke to lead. sometimes they just need an extra kick(lliterly) to get them over there phases

farmboy

i just broke the most stubborn calf ever about 3 days ago, ive had him for about 3 months though  :( finally remembered one of my tricks, rubbing sweet feed all over the halter and my arms and then letting him eat about 5 handfuls and playin gthe pull,step, release game with him and he finally got him moving  (clapping)

ShortyJ13

my first heifer... she was, well, FUN, to break  :D
we tried EVERYTHING... the donkey trick, manually, we even pulled out the big 'ol tractor, tied her halter to the back and gave her a whirl. She improved sure, but she was still stubborn. i was scared out of my mind to take her into the ring for the first time but believe it or not... what finally broke her was that first show. we hauled her and she acted like a dream and did ever since. It puzzled me but i guess if you think about it the only familiar thing to that animal at the first show is you. my advisor told me that's what made her warm up to me so quickly. I know this probally wasnt of much help but, just one of those "Ya' never know!" kinda stories.  ;)

pjkjr4

Last night, we were at Atwoods in Enid, and got some oat/apple horse treats. They smell like apple pie in the oven. I thought I would try that, and see if it helps. It's been raining so much, that it may be a day or two before I can try to drag her around without slipping and falling in the mud, while I'm doing it. Thanks for all the responses......I appreciate the help. I will keep you posted. I will also try to upload some pictures for y'all to critique. If there are some holes in her that I can work on fixing, I would like to do so. The first show that we are going to try to take her to will be at the Tulsa State Fair in late Sep. or early Oct.

Thanks

GO POKES!!!

fluffer

I am actually a fan of donkeys.  I like them for several reasons.  1, I am 5'2 and 120lbs I can not out pound a calf and I dont like getting yanked around.  If I put a calf on the donkey after I get it broke to tie, I have found the calves do not develope as bad of habbits.  Once a calf learns it can get away from you your in trouble.  My donkeys are also very tame and I can go up and pet on them while the calf is tied to them and it also helps gentle the calf.  And finally- Donkeys are great pets!  They have a real good sence of humor and are very entertaining.  They eat weeds that cattle will not eat and they keep the cyots away.  They are much better for you child then a pony.  My donkeys have been to church plays, petting zoos and broke calves.  As long as you can keep theirfeet trimmed they are very low maintinance.  You can get a donkey from a breeder or go to your salebarn.  Just look the donkey over if you get it from a salebarn.  And not every donkey will break calves but there is no way to know who will and who won't until you hook them up.

Good Luck with your Heifer

Cattledog

Well I have had a donkey for about 3 years now and I have yet to use her.  I am kind of a restless guy and am always trying to find ways to work with my cattle.  It really drives my wife nuts!  I only have 15 cows so I get the calves in when they are about three months old during the day and work with them and turn them out at night with their moms.  about a week of this and they are pretty much broke.  I usually get the show stick out and introduce the brush.  I actually tied a bull prospect up the other day and he tugged a couple of times and laid down.  It was the fastest I had ever seen a calf get broke to tie. 8)  I just find it so much easier to work with them when they aren't able to drag me around.  This works the best for me and I think that it is actually less stressful for both parties to have this type of early interaction. I love the donkey keeping the coyotes away!  It seems like they are everywhere.  That is the only use for Fiona (donkey was named by my wife).   

BCCC

fluffer said:
I am actually a fan of donkeys.  I like them for several reasons.  1, I am 5'2 and 120lbs I can not out pound a calf and I dont like getting yanked around.  If I put a calf on the donkey after I get it broke to tie, I have found the calves do not develope as bad of habbits.  Once a calf learns it can get away from you your in trouble.  My donkeys are also very tame and I can go up and pet on them while the calf is tied to them and it also helps gentle the calf.  And finally- Donkeys are great pets!  They have a real good sence of humor and are very entertaining.  They eat weeds that cattle will not eat and they keep the cyots away.  They are much better for you child then a pony.  My donkeys have been to church plays, petting zoos and broke calves.  As long as you can keep theirfeet trimmed they are very low maintinance.  You can get a donkey from a breeder or go to your salebarn.  Just look the donkey over if you get it from a salebarn.  And not every donkey will break calves but there is no way to know who will and who won't until you hook them up.

Good Luck with your Heifer
Ditto