Halter Help

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

We are having serious problems keeping the halter on my fall born heifer.  I have been in the cooler a little more since we started working with babies so I have caught what she is doing I just can't seem to find anyway to stop it.  She is putting her ear under the panel bar and slipping it off her ear and then working it off her head.  Our halters all have a knot tied for the kids so they know where to hold the hands.  The 1st thing we tried was to get an old halter that was really worn (they have better grip), we then tied a knot at the slip right at her chin so it wouldn't move, no change, the next thing was to tie her on the very top bar as tight as I could get her, no change.  Yesterday I finally gave up and put a neck tie on her and the halter came off but the neck tie held.  Tonight I took her out of the cooler last and when I went in to get her she greeted me at the door.  She was out of her halter and had somehow also gotten out of her neck tie, it is tight enough I can hardly get it to clasp.  We have county fair in 3 weeks and I have to have someway of keeping her tied, does anyone have any suggestions.  Thanks

ROAD WARRIOR

I have had bulls that would slip their halters. I take a piece of twine or a strap for a nose lead and make a throat latch like you would find on a horse bridle, sometimes it works some times it doesn't. The real bad ones I put two neck ties on and cross tie them.

red

what about putting an extra knot in the halter up close to the head? You have a real Houdini on your hands!

Red

Clubcalfshowgirl

ok, this should work, get a horse halter the size of her head and put it on her and tie her up with a lead rope.

Jill said:
We are having serious problems keeping the halter on my fall born heifer.  I have been in the cooler a little more since we started working with babies so I have caught what she is doing I just can't seem to find anyway to stop it.  She is putting her ear under the panel bar and slipping it off her ear and then working it off her head.  Our halters all have a knot tied for the kids so they know where to hold the hands.  The 1st thing we tried was to get an old halter that was really worn (they have better grip), we then tied a knot at the slip right at her chin so it wouldn't move, no change, the next thing was to tie her on the very top bar as tight as I could get her, no change.  Yesterday I finally gave up and put a neck tie on her and the halter came off but the neck tie held.  Tonight I took her out of the cooler last and when I went in to get her she greeted me at the door.  She was out of her halter and had somehow also gotten out of her neck tie, it is tight enough I can hardly get it to clasp.  We have county fair in 3 weeks and I have to have someway of keeping her tied, does anyone have any suggestions.  Thanks

showcattlegal

tie a piece a twine from one side of the halter under her jaw and tie it to the other side, not real tight but not lose either. that should help if not just put a neck tie on her.

Latest posts