Halter Sores

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackcows

Got a calf from someone that must have left the halter on too long, the calf is really sore and raw behind the ears and somewhat on the nose but not as bad as behind the ears.  Not putting a halter on him and going to give him some time to heal but just curious if anyone has had this happen and has an idea of how long it takes to heal.  Hoping to get back to working with him in the next 7 to 10 days.

obie105

I had one get sore on me and I used some corona ointment and just wrapped the halter to work on him. It was healed in a few days.

FriedgesCharolais

I wrap my halters in vet wrap on the parts that go over their nose and around their neck so that they do not get sores. But I agree with XBar the calf should be easier to walk around with those areas being sensitive and sore.

renegadelivestock

i break my calves with a donkey, so most of the get raw, just wrap the halter with vet wrap and carry on! it will heal up fine, and I also agree with xbar, he will be more responsive for the next little while.

BTDT

Blackcows - I like the way you think. Give the calf a break and allow the sores to heal up. While the calf MIGHT be "more responsive", they will also connect you with pain, and that is NEVER good.